Login    Register

Engine wont start does anyone have any ideas?

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Engine wont start does anyone have any ideas?

Postby Allan.in.NI » Wed, 16 May 2012 8:48 +0000

Hello lads, I need your knowledge for a problem that I have with my Eunos.

A few weeks ago I drove into Belfast for an appointment which lasted 15 minutes. When I tried to start the engine it coughed then died. Up until then it had been running like a dream but now it will not play ball. First thoughts were that the coil pack had gone kaput but it looks sound with no bubbling. There is fuel getting to engine and new plugs fitted. If I pump the pedal while turning engine over it lumps along on 1.5 cylinders, had a few backfires through exhaust and one load bang and white smoke from airbox.

It had compression checked: all cylinders reading a healthy 200psi and also had a fuel pressure check again A OK.

I cleared the ECU memory by disconnecting negative battery terminal and pressing the foot brake. The diagnostic test reads 3 short flashes: Cam angle sensor I think. I’m going to swap Sonja’s coil pack and leads just to make sure mine are not faulty.

I read that the timing belt can jump a few notches making the timing out but would this be the case if the compression test has shown to be good?

If you have any ideas I’d appreciate your input.

Regards

Allan :cry:
Allan.in.NI

Re: Engine wont start does anyone have any ideas?

Postby sidewaysreilly » Thu, 17 May 2012 1:00 +0000

cam angle sensor could be shaged.........not un-common,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby Allan.in.NI » Sun, 20 May 2012 9:55 +0000

Problem solved...was the Cam Angle Sensor.Ten minute job or was I just lucky.
I removed and fitted the CAS by dropping it down and squeezing it passed the heater hoses and around the dipstick replacing it in reverse, worked a treat.
Allan.in.NI

Postby leamyj » Mon, 21 May 2012 8:09 +0000

Well done Alan :thumright:
leamyj

Return to Runs and tech-days