Login    Register

Connemara, anyone want to show me around?

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Connemara, anyone want to show me around?

Postby paulc » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:04 +0000

I am going to be in Galway with my '5' over the weekend of 6th - 8th July. The Caravan Club I am involved with are have a rally (gathering) in Salthill for the Volvo Ocean Race and for a week or so afterwards. Unfortunately I have to work in between the three weekends that the caravan and family are in Galway so I will be commuting to Cork but it gives me the opportunity to bring the MX5 up to Galway the middle weekend. I have not been in Connemara in years and would love to be shown the prime driving roads by people in the know.
Anyone interested on either the Saturday or Sunday? I don't mind which day. I know the weather is crap at the moment but the hard top has been taken off at last and not going on again until the Autumn so I need a good excuse to do some top down motoring.
I will be staying out in Salthill so if anyone is interested let me know.

Paulc
paulc

Re: Connemara, anyone want to show me around?

Postby Steve » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:12 +0000

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid I'm otherwise engaged for the weekend, a good route is to head out towards Clifden on the N59, hang a right at Maam cross, left at the T junction at the bottom of the valley and head towards Leenane. Take a left in Leenane for Clifden direction. You can then either head back directly towards Galway or go straight on to Roundstone (nice twisty road).
Have fun!

Steve
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Medic5 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 1:46 +0000

I'm probably around on Sunday?
Medic5

Postby Ozi » Sun, 08 Jul 2012 10:09 +0000

I am unashamedly a tourist on this forum... Would love you to post pics if the weather's conducive to some scenic shots including your MX5s. :)

With the terribly wet weather in Europe these last few days, I suppose that's a long shot but you may get lucky. Thanks and I hope you have an enjoyable drive.

My 47th post coincided with paulc's. I'm not sure why such coincidental scores amuse me. Looking forward to arriving in Ireland in a week and a half! :alien:
Ozi

Location: Dublin via Sydney. Dublin mid-Julyto mid-August. See you next year!

Postby paulc » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 8:08 +0000

Thanks lads for the replies, unfortunately I left Cork last Wednesday after work so have been away from email since Tuesday. As chance had it I met up with an old biker buddy in the middle of the Eyre Sq and he recommended the same route. I was staying in Threadneedle Road so I had a quick escape out the Spiddle Road so this is the route I took yesterday and did a figure of eight.The weather wasn't great but the roof stayed down until we pulled into Kylemore Abbey. It was just too miserable to continue with the roof down after that. It must have been the early eighties that I was above there last so it was nice to see the area again. To round off the day we stopped off at a nice restaurant in Moycullen to end the day on a high, a good decision. I'm back home tonight so work tomorrow unfortunately. I'll post photos later but they are in my wife's camera so I won't have them till next week.

Paulc
paulc

Return to Runs and tech-days