Login    Register

fitting new inner + outer tierods

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
fitting new inner + outer tierods

Postby Steve » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:37 +0000

Replaced these today (ok, so I replaced the ball joint about 2 months ago, but write up is the same). My steering was getting crashy/loose and was tramlining a bit more than usual. So thought I'd try replacing these bits before I went for bushings. I'm glad I did... steering is smooth as new, tramling gone + steering returns to centre now on its own (instead of trying to head into the ditch).

You'll need :
inner tierods
http://www.boundville.co.uk/steering-arm-tie-rod-pas-mx-5-mk1-138-p.asp
inner tie rod locking washers (if you are careful, you can reuse the old)
Outer tie rods joint
http://www.boundville.co.uk/track-rod-ends-set-of-2-mx-5-1989-2005-special-offer-1407-p.asp

Put car on stands, remove front wheels etc
Starting with drivers side, turn wheel all the way to the right.
Take out split pin on ball joint, undo nut, turn nut upside down and screw back on till its flat with ball joint shaft top. Hit sharply with BFH, undo and redo nut if it takes more than a couple of hits (to be sure you aren't "mushrooming" the shaft). It should pop with some cursing.

Paint a mark on the outer-to-inner locknut threads so you can realign your steering correctly later. Undo locknut.
Remove boot on inner tie rod (just some wire to be twisted off). They you'll see this :

Bend the tabs on the locking washer back with a screwdriver, then use a 30mm spanner to undo the tierod.

Transfer the boot + clip to the new rod, screw on the outer tierod and tighten up the lock nut, then screw it all into the steering rack with a new lock washer.
Bend tabs back onto the tierod, put ball joint back in and tighten down the nut. Redo the split pin. Done.
old ones :
New ones :
Did the AntiRoll bar endlinks too while I was in there.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby mx5ash » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:35 +0000

Looking good, glad to hear its back to normal/better :wink:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Postby Steve » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 2:38 +0000

yeah, it was def the left one that was loose.... I could move the ball jointed end about with my little finger whereas I couldn't move the new one very much at all! I guess its because its closer to the side of the road and hits more potholes. Def worth the hour or two it took. Not sure how long they took as the anti-roll bar end/drop links took feckin aaages... what a PITA that lower joint is!
Steve
Site Admin

Return to How do I....