Login    Register

Remove door panels to tighten exterior handles

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
Remove door panels to tighten exterior handles

Postby shenab » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:09 +0000

Lots of you have done this and Google gets me lots of tips but I'd like to hear from the horses mouth.

Step by step instructions in how to get my MkII panel off and access to the inside mounting of my exterior door handles.

PLEASE

thanks
Shena
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Re: Remove door panels to tighten exterior handles

Postby leamyj » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:22 +0000

Might be a case of mini-tech-hour in Lough Key if you dont get it sorted before then.

I'm sure many of us will be bringing a few bits n' bobs tool wise!

John
leamyj

Postby shenab » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 2:59 +0000

John

I'm really trying to do this stuff myself if I can :D I had my dash off yesterday, so am full of enthusiasm to do the handles now.

From what I can gather I need to take out a small screw behind the inside handle and then pop off the panel. There may or may not be another screw.

Anyone who has done this on the 2.5 I'd appreciate any pointers so I don't end up with my panel hanging off.

If I can't figure it out I will of course be happy for all and any assistance at the "camping" weekend.

S
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby Steve » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 5:11 +0000

yeah, theres a screw in the door handle cup, one in the armrest and one up near the tweeter. Then get mazda tool #23432a

and slip between door metal and door panel to lever off the panel from the door where it attaches with the push/pop fittings. Lift panel off door.

Peel back the water barrier plastic (mind the black stuff of death) and you'll see the back of door handle.

You can't break anything really.. so just tear into it and come back if you get stuck ;-)

Steve
Steve
Site Admin

Postby shenab » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 7:16 +0000

Ok, took the panel off and peeled back the sitcky and this is double dutch to me. I thought I was going to find a nice nut that was easy to tighten.

It looks like I'm missing screws .. can any of you help me with what I need to tighten to stop the bottom half of my handle from sticking out?

thanks
Shena
Car Handle 1.jpg
Car Handle 2.jpg
Car Handle 3.jpg

I also appear to have a styrofoam box type thing on the left of the handle (this is the drivers door)

thanks
Shena
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby Ivan » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 7:43 +0000

did you try to remove the door car from the other side and compare the two?
Ivan

Postby shenab » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 8:51 +0000

er, no, that was my next option, but as the handle on that side appears to be loose to I'm not sure that it's going to be useful. I was hoping someone had been here before .. looks like not!
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby leamyj » Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:02 +0000

Try checking, if some screws have come loose ,that they may still be in the interior of the door..rolling around at the bottom.

Just a thought :wink:

John
leamyj

Postby shenab » Mon, 17 Aug 2009 3:52 +0000

I think this is going to be one for the weekend trip. Will print out the photos. I think there's more than a screw missing (and I'm not talking about me!)

I was really hoping someone knew what it was supposed to look like after all the comments about the handles not sitting right in the past :D

Not to worry, thanks Steve for the help in getting the panel off, at least I learned something today.

S
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Return to How do I....