Login    Register

Handbrake imbalance, turned out to be seized cable

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
Handbrake imbalance, turned out to be seized cable

Postby Reesy » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 6:55 +0000

Fixing the car up for the NCT, I had a go at the handbrake this weekend. Knew it was weak and way out of balance.

I checked the RHS calliper piston & adjusted the lever tension, and was on the point of ordering a new calliper when I thought I'd just check the RHS cable was free running. The rubber seal thingies were bust & the cable inside was black. Sure enough, it was stuck solid. (The other was OK.)

Following the advice of the Grainger manual I removed the rear cables on both sides (easy when you know how!!) and tipped gear oil into both cables, using a plastic bag for a funnel. I left them overnight, and this morning the RHS one was still stuck solid, so I put it in the vice & tried to free it using the claw hammer. It came free... so I switched ends and tried to pull it back the other way. It came free... then I noticed the far end of the cable wasn't moving. Cable had come apart, so into the bin.

I managed to jury-rig a one-side handbrake by removing the spring from the distributor thingy (where the front cable meets the 2 rear ones), and tightening at the lever. I've just ordered a pair of cables from MX5Parts. Should be an easy install now I know how to do it, weather permitting. Hopefully it'll solve the handbrake imbalance / power problem

What have I learned today?
- Have a look at the cables before ordering a calliper. If the rubber covers at the ends are bust, check whether the cables look clean & are running free.
- If a cable's seized, don't lube with gear oil but maybe try lubing with a penetrating oil (wish I had).
- If the rubber covers are gone, think about replacing the cables.

Simon
No more Mk1, now driving an '08 Mk3. Still fun!
Reesy

NCT`

Postby robmx5 » Sun, 10 Feb 2008 8:29 +0000

Simon,

If you have coloured side reflectors, do'nt forget to remove them or tape over them (another use for gaffer tape) before your NCT
robmx5

Postby Reesy » Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:36 +0000

Hi Rob, yep, ta I have red ones which come off for the test.

Handbrake cables arrived today so I'll fit 'em on the weekend, weather & other tasks permitting.

It is soooo satisfying to fix something oneself, I find (tho' I shouldn't speak too soon!)

Reesyboy
No more Mk1, now driving an '08 Mk3. Still fun!
Reesy

Return to How do I....