Login    Register

Swapping diff

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
Swapping diff

Postby mx5ash » Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:19 +0000

Right guys i am going to have a crack at fitting the diff i got a few weeks ago
I have a 1.6 with a (i assume) normal diff. the one i got is a lsd from a 1.6.
He also gave me the half shafts and drive shafts. Do i need to fit these or can i use the ones that are on the car. does it make any difference to the work involved? ie less to remove?
I have heard a few people mention that a drive shaft should be marked as they are balanced. Whats the deal there should i use the ones that came with the diff??
I know there is a guide on here for swapping a 1.6 to a 1.8. but this is slightly different (and hopefully easy) as its a stright swap.
The new diff is the older style one with the drive shafts attached to the diff by 4 bolts. It looks like a really easy job if i don't need to swap the drive shafts and the prop shaft. (not sure if thats what they are called but you know the one from the gear box and the ones to the wheels)
I'm thinking, exhaust off, prop shaft unbolted and dropped, drive shafts unbolted at diff but stay attached at hub just moved away, ppf off, unbolt diff and drop down. New diff up, reattach drive shafts and prop to diff. ppf and exhaust refitted. fill with oil. Good to go.
Is this right??
Big question is is this possible to do without removing the halfshafts. Do i need to use the propshaft (are they balanced to the diff or something)

Sorry for all the questions but its the only way i can learn.
Thanks Ash
mx5ash

Postby Steve » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:27 +0000

the new half shafts, are they one piece or two piece? Do they have four holes on the flange at one end?

Don't bother taking off the PPF you don't need to, but.. dont go hangin off the end of it either as its bolted to the gearbox on the other end.

Spray the diff mount bolts well in advance with wd40, the half shaft bolts should come off easily enough.
Don't swop the propshaft either, if its a 1.6 diff, it should fit (you'll know anyways when you are putting it in.. it either will reach the diff or it won't).
Get new half shaft seals from Mazda!
I'll have a root and see if I can dig out the part number for ya.

Oh, and yes, if you have to remove the half shafts.. thats where the touble starts heheh Best to get the hub nut loosened by someone with an air gun used for removing tractor wheel nuts (no harm in getting a couple of new hub nuts from Mazda either).

Steve
Steve
Site Admin

Return to How do I....