Login    Register

Spraying hard top

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
Spraying hard top

Postby scuzzbat » Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:30 +0000

Has anyone attempted to self spray a hard top? It seems to be 300 for a vinyl wrap and 350 for a spray.
I was thinking about doing it solo, but have no experience and would be rather worried about it turning out shit.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks
scuzzbat

Re: Spraying hard top

Postby motthomas » Fri, 31 Jan 2014 3:43 +0000

I haven't done a hard-top specifically but have done some spraying. If you are worried about it turning out shit, the question I would ask myself is "can I afford to do it again" because the worst that can happen is you mess up and you sand back to the start and do it again.

Also what were your plans to do it? Spray cans or proper gun? If you have a compressor already, get a gun and use proper 2 pack paints. Much harder wearing but they are more expensive. The expense on the 2 pack is with the extra ancilliaries like hardener, thinner, primers and laquers that you can usually only get per litre. I would expect you would only need 250ml of actual colour but if its your first time I'd go 500ml just to be sure. Its definitely better to be looking at it than looking for it. Expect to pay up to 150 for all the paints, thinners and gun by the time your done.

The finished product is going to depend very heavily on the time and effort put into prep. You can never over-prep for painting. Aim to allocate your time, 95% prep and 5% paint. The surface needs to be perfect before painting because any small imperfections in the surface will be magnified tenfold on the finished product. For painting you will want to have a straight run at it. Read the instructions specific to your paints and adhere by timelines exactly. Lacquer bubbling and peeling down the line is usually caused by allowing the colour coat to dry too much before applying the lacquer.

Read lots of material before starting and the more gen you can get from reputable sources the better. (i.e. forums are not always the most reputable sources of gen so from that point, even if you take nothing else from this post, take that!) Time and preperation are key so if you can afford to give the time and work to it, you will be rewarded. In my opinion, go for it. :)
motthomas

Postby scuzzbat » Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:54 +0000

This is a valid point, but the time and effort factor for as hit result is a concern.

I've zero spraying experience and don't have a compressor so I'd be using ze cans.

Ill take your advice onboard and do my due diligence on it, and from what I've seen so far it could be worth getting it done professionally due to my limited resources and experience.

I assume drying time depends on the paint and where it's stored, which in my case would be a gardening shed or tiny city apartment.
scuzzbat

Postby AndyJF » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 8:10 +0000

Where can you pick up 2 pack paint?
Most places wont sell it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
AndyJF

Postby slipperyox » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 8:30 +0000

http://www.fabricspray.ie/shop/upholste ... nyl-cote-x

would this work for you?

And while i'm here, is it possible to buy a new viynl template anywhere?
I have a soft top, but its badly damaged.
slipperyox

Postby motthomas » Sat, 01 Feb 2014 11:05 +0000

It is possible to get good results with spray cans. The paintwork just won't be as hardwearing. Also spray cans take more time to get a good result. Warming the cans in water before spraying is a must. More pressure = more atomisation. Also start and finish the spray off the workpiece, this minimises spatter on your workpiece. Never go heavy on the paint or you get orange peel. Lots of light coats is better.

I don't know about up around this direction Andy but I got 2 pack paint in Autozone in Limerick on the Ballysimon Road.
motthomas

Postby Fergus » Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:48 +0000

motthomas wrote:It is possible to get good results with spray cans. The paintwork just won't be as hardwearing. Also spray cans take more time to get a good result. Warming the cans in water before spraying is a must. More pressure = more atomisation. Also start and finish the spray off the workpiece, this minimises spatter on your workpiece. Never go heavy on the paint or you get orange peel. Lots of light coats is better.

I don't know about up around this direction Andy but I got 2 pack paint in Autozone in Limerick on the Ballysimon Road.

I've actually done this before, I agree with Thomas about prep and temps when spraying from rattle cans, you need everything above 21-25C for spraying with rattle cans.

But (isn't there always a but) I do not agree about the 'hardwearing' part because I've rattle canned using Enamel/Acrylic paint and I've seen it still 100% perfect on a rear bumper after a car was hit so hard that the boot itself rippled and the car's sterio was thrown out of the dash. The spray paint used these days in car shops is water based, you need at least one or two top coats of clear over it for it to last a while.
Fergus

Postby s90jpl » Sun, 11 Jan 2015 7:20 +0000

Hi got my hardtop sprayed by friend for £200 from silver to black fantastic job
s90jpl

Postby Yolo » Fri, 16 Jan 2015 12:21 +0000

s90jpl wrote:Hi got my hardtop sprayed by friend for £200 from silver to black fantastic job

would he do another one???
1992 Mk1 Eunos silver
Mk2 suspension
IL Motorsport bushes
Mk2.5 leather seats
1.8 brake upgrade
learning slowly

http://www.mazdamenders.net
Yolo

Postby s90jpl » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:11 +0000

Id say he would I'm from Enniskellen county Fermanagh his mobile number is 07899955206 his name is Brain
s90jpl

Postby Yolo » Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:47 +0000

Many thanks I will give him a shout at some stage but at the moment too many other things soaking up the money but I do need it done and some bad scratches need looked at.
1992 Mk1 Eunos silver
Mk2 suspension
IL Motorsport bushes
Mk2.5 leather seats
1.8 brake upgrade
learning slowly

http://www.mazdamenders.net
Yolo

Return to How do I....