Login    Register

Clunky suspension?

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
Clunky suspension?

Postby fabfiveferg » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:01 +0000

I've been hearing some new noises since our Mountain trek in Wicklow and some of them sound a bit serious.

Everytime I lift off the accelerator there is a clunking sound behind me. Sounds like a suspension issue. Also when I give the suspension a bit of a bounce at the rear I can hear a metal on metal clang that I wouldn't expect normally.

I'm gonna take a look at it later but before i do is there any obvious things I should look out for.
fabfiveferg

Postby Steve » Fri, 06 Jun 2008 1:10 +0000

broken spring?
Anti roll bar bushings dead?
Check the bolts on top (in the boot) of the shock and at the bottom..
umm..
check for play in the diff (grab the driveshaft and see if you can turn it a little with the handbrake on),

grab the exhaust tailpipe and push/pull/shake... (maybe do this one first.. )

Steve
Steve
Site Admin

Postby fabfiveferg » Sun, 15 Jun 2008 7:07 +0000

Right had a look at that today and I'm still unsure about the issue. There seems to be a bit of give in the wheel if you rock it while the wheel is on the ground but not so obvious when it's jacked up.

the bushing at the base of the shock doesn't seem fantastic so could be that or the wheel bearing? maybe?

does this make any sense
fabfiveferg

Re: Clunky suspension?

Postby sspecdave » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 1:07 +0000

fabfiveferg wrote:I've been hearing some new noises since our Mountain trek in Wicklow and some of them sound a bit serious.

Everytime I lift off the accelerator there is a clunking sound behind me. Sounds like a suspension issue. Also when I give the suspension a bit of a bounce at the rear I can hear a metal on metal clang that I wouldn't expect normally.

I'm gonna take a look at it later but before i do is there any obvious things I should look out for.

:idea: Check to make sure spare wheel or battery havent come loose :idea:
sspecdave

Postby Stig » Tue, 17 Jun 2008 1:13 +0000

The wheel bearing would only be an issue when the car is in motion? No?
I'd check the entire exhaust sysyem first and eliminate it. Could be a rubber hanger gone or shot and could be causing metal to clang.
Stig

Return to How do I....