Login    Register

Passenger elec window won't go up!! HELP!

Need help or advice fitting or fixing something
  • Author
Passenger elec window won't go up!! HELP!

Postby wet_blanket » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:02 +0000

I've a Mk 1 1.8 and I was enjoying the brief amount of sunshine this wonderful country threw at us today and lowered both windows. It started to rain and the passenger window wouldn't go up! After a few minutes of trying the switch the window raised by a few cm's at a time until it came up enough to push the winsow to the closed position.

When I got home I stripped the door and inspected the cables, which seemed fine. I then got an old battery and powered the motor directly and low and behold the motor powered the reg and the window to the closed position.

In short, the switch powers the window down but not up.

Does this sound like a switch or is there another problem that any of you may know about??

Also (sorry about this long winded post :)) I have noticed that both window are lazy when operating, particularly the passenger but when I powered the motor off the battery it flew up and down without dragging....any ideas??? :D
wet_blanket

Postby mx5ash » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:10 +0000

Could be that the switch contacts need cleaning, Also clean the window runners and grease them. Inside normal grease will do and silicon spray stuff for the rubber runner that the the window slides in. I would say that doing the two of them will sort you out. the electric feed to the window motors goes through the switch so its pretty week. If it inconters resistance (dirty runners) then it would be able to cope. try this and get back to us. There is a link somewhere to adding relays to the circuit so you get a direct feed.
hth Ash

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Postby wet_blanket » Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:19 +0000

Funny you should say that cos when I removed the switch for a look (which was about 30 seconds ago with my laptop and wireless operatting :)) I blew it out with compressed air and a dose of electric cleaner. It started working again briefly but has stopped again.

It looks lke its the switch then ???? I dont want pry away the circuitry too hard for fear it will break. Any tips for further cleaning or should I just get onto MXS parts and order a new switch??

I have lubricated the channels and guides with white grease and silicone but the operation still seems lazy Any further ideas??

Thanks for your help :)
wet_blanket

thread hijack

Postby valred » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 9:46 +0000

Hi Wet n Ash,

Can I hijack this thread for advice? My driver window gives little whines but does not go down/up/sideways nothing! So I bought a new regulator/motor thing...the complete set.

Now, I took off the leather trim, and the plastic membrane and found that this has been a long ongoing problem as the previous owner had wiring to hold the window permanently up.

Is there a non-technical way of telling me how to test the motor/clean connectors etc.............really dumbed down way?

Mucho apreciato,
val
valred

Postby mx5ash » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:17 +0000

Never done it but i guess that if you get a battery and 2 wires and connect it to the two terminals on the window motor then it will work. If you have a complete new motor and reg then i guess you will be fine.

Can you bridge the wires where the switch would be completing the circuit and moving the window. if this works then you know its the switch.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Re: thread hijack

Postby Ivan » Sat, 28 Jun 2008 2:57 +0000

valred wrote:Hi Wet n Ash,

Can I hijack this thread for advice? My driver window gives little whines but does not go down/up/sideways nothing! So I bought a new regulator/motor thing...the complete set.

Now, I took off the leather trim, and the plastic membrane and found that this has been a long ongoing problem as the previous owner had wiring to hold the window permanently up.

Is there a non-technical way of telling me how to test the motor/clean connectors etc.............really dumbed down way?

Mucho apreciato,
val

It's more than likely just the cables that have gone.
Simple enough to replace
Ivan

Postby Midlifecrisis » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:30 +0000

Back to original thread .... I had a similar 'lazy' driver-side window which would eventually go up if I tickled the switch - it almost blew my NCT!!! Anyway, got replacement from MX5-parts, fitted in few mins & sorted.
Midlifecrisis

Postby wet_blanket » Wed, 02 Jul 2008 5:48 +0000

Just a quick follow up on switch scenario.

Ordered a new switch from MX5 parts and got it this morning. Fitted it and noticed that now both windows are operating much faster than before. :)

The only minor complaint I have is that the switch they sent me doesn't have the auto up/down feature on the d/s window.

Minor I know but still :(
wet_blanket

Return to How do I....