Login    Register

Any suggestions welcome

In car entertainment
  • Author
Any suggestions welcome

Postby deccydoo » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 5:33 +0000

Ok heres the story. the car came with the bose head unit and speakers and there was a small amp behind the dash somewhere. I had no problems with the sound but wanted something a bit nicer looking so i bought a double touch screen unit to replace it. mind you we werent in a recession at the time so i paid to get it done. the guy lashed it in but had to bypass the bose amp cause he said he couldnt use the old amp with the new head unit. any way long story short, the sound is shocking, any time i turn it to a half decent level i get harsh crackling out of the speakers. now im looking for the cheapest possible solution into getting a good sound back. as the title says....

Thanks,

Dec
deccydoo

Re: Any suggestions welcome

Postby mx5ash » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:00 +0000

It sounds like he left the original bose speakers in there which won't do at all. they are a different ohm rating iirc which is why the bose amp is there and why he couldn't use it.
What you need to do is get some new speakers in there, assuming the guy bypassed the bose amp and used the stock speaker wires running to the door then you should be able to replace them at the door and jobs a good un. Just beware that there is a bose housing unit round the speaker in there now that will need modifying to get new speakers in.
Some light reading for you
http://www.miata.net/garage/bose_bypass.html
I have more if you want it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Postby robmx5 » Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:13 +0000

Have also had the same problem but then had the autoelectrician replace the door speakers at the same time with JVC'c I think - must check - this was after reading some posts on the miata website - however I still have a crackling sound from the system when I up the volume - I thought it was my head unit (a cheap LIdl affair) - it is particularly bad when i plug in my mp3 and up the volume - so be interested if changing your speakers has a postive effect.

Robin
robmx5

Postby deccydoo » Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:24 +0000

Thanks for the responses lads. I think ill try and change the speakers on the doors so. do the small speakers on the door have to be changed aswell? and i presume im looking for 2 ohm speakers so?
my head unit is a cheap ass ebay thing aswell so i dont expect to see any better results than you rob but i dont seem to have that problem when my mp3 is plugged in.
going off topic - ash im in no ruch for that polish a while so will u hang onto it for me and ill get it off you soon? oh ya nice site by the way
deccydoo

Postby deccydoo » Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:50 +0000

ok i looked up my radio, here it is

http://cgi.ebay.ie/TD706-7-FACE-OFF-3D- ... m153.l1262

and it looks like its a 4 ohm unit aswell which means i have to get the amp wired in by someone who can actually do it and the speakers will work fine then. any1 no some1 cheap in cork that will take this on? just rang a place and got quoted 45 eurons an hour with it being more 2 hours than 1 hour
deccydoo

Postby mx5ash » Thu, 23 Apr 2009 1:12 +0000

Not sure i get you re the amp? It has been bypassed already no? The wires from the headunit probably run straight to the doorspeakers now. He might have got rid of the small speakers as well is there any sound out of them?
Re polish no worries, Re site thanks. :P

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Postby deccydoo » Fri, 24 Apr 2009 1:40 +0000

ya the amp was bypassed but after the light reading you posted for me i got a moment of madness and went and got it done. the amp was not easy to get at but we got it out and its now wired and running. the only problem now is that my head unit is a piece of s#*t cause the volume limit is pretty low. im happy for the moment anyway. thanks for the input
deccydoo

Return to I.C.E