Login    Register
  • Author
The Lights are On...But There's No One at Home...

Postby TeenaG » Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:38 +0000

Anyone got any ideas about charging my 3G iPhone from the 5's cigarette lighter socket? I've tried two seperate socket-to-usb type chargers and both have failed to charge the iPhone. (It's charging fine from the mains and from my laptop).

Checking out the message boards, I've seen there's an ongoing problem with charging the 3G from the car; as they've changed the software to accept USB charge only. But, due to the lack of an 'error message' I think my problem is seperate again from that.

I plug in the phone and it doesn't reject the charger. Instead it appears to be charging - but isn't actually taking a charge. Basically all the lights are on, but there's no-one at home.

Anyone else come across this.

(PS. I simply use a minijack to connect my iphone to my stereo, and it plays music, sat-nav apps, and kicks incoming calls to speaker - no prob).
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Re: The Lights are On...But There's No One at Home...

Postby Steve » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 12:51 +0000

Not sure if this will solve your problem but in theory it should let you charge using your usb cable (so it might.. )

I use one for my phone (Samsung) and it works well :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002C3AFHG/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Steve
Site Admin

Postby sidewaysreilly » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 12:09 +0000

go to Halfrauds and buy an Inverter. Then just plug it into ciggy socket and plug your charger into it. About 50 sheckles i think.....
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby Steve » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 2:00 +0000

Steve
Site Admin

Postby shenab » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 3:19 +0000

Teena

I think this is a case of try different ones and see. We have 2, a generic make and a philips one. The philips works the other doesn't.

If you are around at Mike's next weekend you can have a try with mine and see if it works with yours. I got it in Dunnes!

Shena
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 7:29 +0000

shenab wrote:Teena

I think this is a case of try different ones and see. We have 2, a generic make and a philips one. The philips works the other doesn't.

If you are around at Mike's next weekend you can have a try with mine and see if it works with yours. I got it in Dunnes!

Shena

Cool, I will be trying that too..I thought my ipod car charger would work but nope same as Teena and the battery life in these are crap!
anniniwa

Postby TeenaG » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 8:20 +0000

Thanks for the advice and suggestions lads and lasses. You're absolutely right, it appears to be a case of 'suck it and see'. Astonishing when you consider the price of the iPhone! Anyway, got a chance to nip into Maplin today, and bought charger number 3 - explaining the situation - and yippee it works. I've also bought an adaptor from the internet site, and I'll give that a try with the other two, when it arrives, and let you all know how I get on with it.

T.
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Postby shenab » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 9:18 +0000

battery life in these are crap!

But they are de biz otherwise :0)
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby johnc55 » Mon, 05 Apr 2010 9:34 +0000

Teena,

went to Maplins today and bought the micro dc to usb adaptor. product no. A50JK. cost €8.99

Tested with my iPhone 3G tonight and works fine. Also, it is a very neat, small adaptor unlike some of the other ones which stick out a lot.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=274029

Hope this helps

JohnC55
johnc55

Postby Medic5 » Wed, 07 Apr 2010 2:48 +0000

Hi Teena, I have an iphone and have no problems charging it.
Just go into your local Vodafone shop and buy an accessory pack.
It has the car charger with the radio dock in it and the desk top charger unit which is an USB port the pack costs about 20 euro I think.
Medic5

Postby TeenaG » Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:08 +0000

Thanks John, good tip. Maplin 'rocks'.... Medico, relieved to hear you're Ever Ready.....
TeenaG

Return to I.C.E