Login    Register

Engine Management wizard?

Found something cool on ebay... spread the word
  • Author
Engine Management wizard?

Postby paulc » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 10:21 +0000

Spotted this item on ebay, anyone got experience of such a product? It is either the bargain of the century or a total waste of money. My engine management light has come on following an overenthusiastic cleaning of the engine bay over the Christmas hols. The engine would only fire on three cylinders at low revs for a while but eventually returned to normal running. However the engine management light is still on. I have a guy looking at it tomorrow so hopefully a simple reset is all that is required. That is the reason that I was rummaging on ebay, but I some how reckon it is only a gimic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-MANAGE ... 3337wt_905
paulc

Re: Engine Management wizard?

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 05 Jan 2012 1:06 +0000

its a standard OBD2 code reader, not a scam at all. Most mechanics these days have a reader like this of some sort

Most cars have obd2 sockets except for jap imports as obd2 was not introduced over in japan until 2001 i think
charged_rs

Postby Steve » Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:02 +0000

sounds like you might have gotten some water in the sparkplug holes or the ignition leads/coil.
Pull out the leads and see if there is any water in there (just remember which order they fit in).
Steve
Site Admin

Postby paulc » Thu, 05 Jan 2012 11:20 +0000

Had the car in to the garage today and the reader identified misfire on Cylinder one. A simple reset of the Management light and I was on the road again. Believe it or not the mechanic didn't even charge me! The car had been behaving itself since the run to West Cork on Sunday so I was confident a reset would sort me out. Next time I am cleaning the engine bay I will just use wipes. Lesson learned. I am still interested in looking at one of these readers. Argos of all people do a more advanced reader (approved by RAC) for about £75. I must do some more research.
paulc

Return to Ebay finds