Login    Register

N/A maximum? Is turbocharging the only way?

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
Re: N/A maximum? Is turbocharging the only way?

Postby shadowhearth » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:00 +0000

Did yo go for that greedy kit after all m8? And are you getting downpipe from begi?

Would love to see your setup irl, cork is not that far away :D
shadowhearth

Postby Wee T » Tue, 08 Sep 2009 1:34 +0000

Alan is taking loads of pics of the installation so no doubt he'll get them posted up.We are trying to get his turbo'd and my RS supercharged for Saturday so we havn't much time spare.When my RS is parked up for winter i'll be exploring Fergus's grand ides of using a narrower and thicker radiator and very short intercooler piping.
Wee T

Postby Wee T » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 9:30 +0000

Wee T

Postby leamyj » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 9:46 +0000

That looks wonderful..almost has me spending money I haven't got.. :cry:

John
leamyj

Postby Steve » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:02 +0000

Love it! Some great DIY installs there. That catch can has some industrial sized piping ;-)

Why so many ground straps from the block?
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Fergus » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:32 +0000

srigley wrote:Love it! Some great DIY installs there. That catch can has some industrial sized piping ;-)

Good question as it appears to be strapped up all over the place when only one is needed. I LUV that manifold BTW and want to see it holding up when you decide to dial in 10 or 12 PSI :D What make is it ?

Relocate your air intake when you have the time/cash and put the engine strut bar back on :thumright:
Fergus

Postby Fergus » Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:46 +0000

srigley wrote:Do you have lag now Fergus? You shouldn't have with a GReddy.. unless your exhaust or air filter is stifling it or something

How long is their downpipe wait going to be?

The Greddy spools up at about 3,500RPM with the standard Greddy downpipe and with an RB exhaust. I've heard that the 2.5" downpipe from Bell will drop the spooling down even more and give better BHP since it's WAY less restrictive than the Greddy one.

Although, Bell have STILL not replied to my email concerning a shipping date and the order was placed and paid for in full on August 24th :scratch:

Oh and, I was going to get a Greddy Type S bov but decided not to as it doesn't hold vac very well on idel......so I've ordered this one that DOES hold vac and sounds the same if not EVEN BETTER than the Greddy one
Fergus

Postby Wee T » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 1:03 +0000

The ground straps are a Japanese thing.Alan loves his big sparkling hoses.
srigley wrote:Love it! Some great DIY installs there. That catch can has some industrial sized piping ;-)

Wee T

Postby Steve » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 1:09 +0000

What are you doing under 3,500RPM? Saving the planet? ;-)

Yeah, the downpipe should free it up some.. if you can get your hands on one..
Bad form they haven't given some sort of communication.. are they still in business even? 3 weeks.. I'd be on to them.

I've just ordered one via an ex-racingmazda.com employee (apparently) who does nixers. I'll let you know how it comes out (have heard nothing but good about the guy).
Similar to this one except with a flex section. Have also ordered a 2.5" cat pipe w/wideband bung. Should be a turn around time of just over 2 weeks.

<rant> Incidently.. I emailed all of the vendors who supply these (racingmazda.com, begi, oh and 3 phone calls + 2 emails to MX5mad/everythingmx5) ... not one reply. Some recession they're having.. </rant>
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Steve » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 1:10 +0000

Wee T wrote:The ground straps are a Japanese thing.Alan loves his big sparkling hoses.

Ahhhh I see.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Fergus » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 2:58 +0000

srigley wrote:What are you doing under 3,500RPM? Saving the planet? ;-)

Bad form they haven't given some sort of communication.. are they still in business even? 3 weeks.. I'd be on to them.

I've just ordered one via an ex-racingmazda.com employee (apparently) who does nixers. I'll let you know how it comes out (have heard nothing but good about the guy).
Similar to this one except with a flex section. Have also ordered a 2.5" cat pipe w/wideband bung. Should be a turn around time of just over 2 weeks.

<rant> Incidently.. I emailed all of the vendors who supply these (racingmazda.com, begi, oh and 3 phone calls + 2 emails to MX5mad/everythingmx5) ... not one reply. Some recession they're having.. </rant>

<rant> Incidently.. I emailed all of the vendors who supply these (racingmazda.com, begi, oh and 3 phone calls + 2 emails to MX5mad/everythingmx5) ... not one reply. Some recession they're having.. </rant>[/quote]

Mx5Mad have packed in.

Yeah it's bad customer service if Bell Engineering can't reply to a new customer after dishing out over $750 on two of their listed products, and even worse when I've told them that there are TWO forums in the UK and ONE in the USA waiting on my build which is waiting on THEIR products for an update. Not a single bloody email back from them at all.

Oh heck, I've already seen that downpipe with a flexi hose on it for Miatas, there are about 5 'Power Sellers' on Ebay alone trying to flog that kit off.
There is no bung for a wideband.

If your getting that one, it will not fit and align up under the car - if it mates up with the turbo then it will hit/touch off everything under the car. Prepare yourself for some cursing etc.

BUT, there IS a quick fix to sort it all out - if you know a fabber they can cut the turbo 'flange' off and reseat it to 'properly' align with the turbo and the rest of the downpipe will not hit/touch anything underneath :thumright:

(PS) I'd also ask the fabber to inspect all the welds on the rest of the downpipe just to be sure/safe etc.
Fergus

Postby Steve » Sun, 13 Sep 2009 8:53 +0000

Fergus wrote:Oh heck, I've already seen that downpipe with a flexi hose on it for Miatas, there are about 5 'Power Sellers' on Ebay alone trying to flog that kit off.
There is no bung for a wideband.

Heh, no its not the ebay trash, I know the ones you mean tho,
Like this
and this

but the item I ordered isn't one of them ;-)

Its one of these (3rd item down)
This is made to order, the guy came highly recommended by those on miataturbo for fitment, welds and flow (and you know how picky they are about quality).
He's fitting an extra bung for me to the cat pipe so it can be removed.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby paulNA » Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:45 +0000

i know this is fairly old thread, but i think there is room for some extra opinion regarding Naturaly Aspirated tuning

as with tuning any NA car it will take substantial amount of money to get any decent power level, cost wise turbo will give you more power for your money, which is considerable disadvantage to NA tuning but there are tonns of people out there that prefer NA power to turbo, obviously there is pros and cons to both, but to the point....

Weight Reduction
-Its probably one of the most effective ways of getting extra performance, and up to a certain point it will cost you absolutely nothing, MX5's are already light, and they are small which doesnt give much room for stripping interior(daily driver), but lightweight bucket seats can save you bout 10kg each, removing air con will rid of bout 15kg, boot spares will shed another 15kg. Personally i wouldnt bother with carbon bonnet and boot as standard ones seem light enough as it is. Wheels would make huge impact, for every 1kg of rotational weight per wheel you remove its like taking out 10kg out of the car, most 15'' alloy wheels weight between 6-7.5kg each on average, however the likes of Rays TE37, Racing Hart Cp035 or Volk Cne28 weight under 4kg each!!! these would dramatically improve cars performance, but its not easy to find them and they can be pricey, think there is 1 model of rotas that weights 4.8kg? think they are called clubman, not 100% sure on that one

Engine
-Being honest imo MX5 engines arent that great, they are low enough compression and I think they are nowhere near as competitive as Honda or Toyota engines of same era which were producing good bit more power output out of same or less displacement.
Anyways, you want to start off with usual breathing mods, 4 branch manifold, high flow exhaust(personally I wouldnt go over anything bigger than 2.5'' any more and you will most likely loose power) higher lift cams and decent plug leads. After all these done you want to invest in some sort of ecu, SAFC or GreddyBlue E-manage, they are piggyback systems which im not overly gone on, but if you are on a budget and doing only few basic mods they will do the trick nicely. (Megasquirt would be ideal solution if you are planning on digging further into the engine. However Im unsure how many people are out there in Ireland that can map it). ECU remap is essential if you are serious about getting bit of extra power, because there is good chance that basic mods you carried out so far are getting you no extra power at all(standard ecu might be getting confused, it would be good idea to reset it), unless mapped. At this stage you will probably gain roughly about 30bhp after map. As well as that, shorter final drive would give you extra bit of acceleration by tweaking the gearing, this will give you noticable difference.

Next you could port and polish the head, 3 or 5 degree angle valve job. Going futher, lightweight high compression pistons,lightweight conrods, increasing bore and so on, but at this stage you might aswell consider a rebuild. High lift cams will make big difference here as they will make great power with high comp block. All of This will be really costly in all fairness, and you will probably end up with anywhere between 200-250bhp after mapping depending on compression and supporting parts. I can only imagine it would be a very fun engine, but with all the money invested you will definately get way more power going down turbo route.

Any more opinions on NA tuning? :)
paulNA

Postby Fergus » Sun, 20 Nov 2011 1:47 +0000

Yes.... install 'THE FLUX CAPACITOR' :shock:

Only joking :lol:
GOOD solid points raised here about NA and I think Ash got another 30+ BHP just by installing a Link ECU in his Auto ?

The entire exhaust system makes a HUGE difference and I agree about the 2.5" issue.
Dumping the AC and PS (and anything in the engine bay that is not required).
Also, if you have a Jap import check under the door cards as 'some' of the Jap imports have a sheet of 'lead' under the plastic there - an import here in Cork had those lead sheets in it.
And wheels are another part that make a HUGE difference.

Was it FM that had (or have) an NA car that's over 200 BHP at the wheels ? There's also that super low weight Miata guy out there with his car but I don't think that really fits into being a daily driver car.

Good post paulNA !
Fergus

Postby paulNA » Sun, 20 Nov 2011 4:29 +0000

30bhp sounds good after map, wonder was that just with simple breathing mods carried out? I wonder how many people in ireland are out there that would map the likes of Link and Megasquirt, ?

That is really interesting what you said about the lead in the doorcards, ill definately have a look in my car, although I wonder if mazda placed them in there for some sort of extra rigidity or lowering the centre of gravity :?:

200whp sounds great in for NA, I wonder what kind of mods did/does he have? Also It would be interesting to know how much weight can be shed off for a daily driver retaining a bit of comfort? NA Mx5's are supposed to be roughly 950kg , Id say 860kg could be well achievable?
paulNA

PreviousNext

Return to Turbo Talk