Login    Register

N/A maximum? Is turbocharging the only way?

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
N/A maximum? Is turbocharging the only way?

Postby shadowhearth » Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:15 +0000

I whant to start puting some performance mogs on mine 5, but i kind of in crapy situation...

How much can i push out from N/A engine, realisticly, withouth spending your kidneys on it? Mk2 1.8

How much performance i would see atleast with these mods:

1. Racing beat intake + Cold air duct
http://www.gomiata.com/mamicoairdub.html
http://www.gomiata.com/adphotracbea1.html
2. Mongoose full exhaust with decat
3. IL motorsport stainless steel tubular manifold
http://www.ilmotorsport.de/shop/article ... 03737771bd
4. Sports clutch, not decided which one yet
5. flywheel, not decided which one

what else i could do?

I whanted to go turbo way in beggining, but deeper i go, more scared i get... I know that stock mx5 engine can handle up to 200hp no bother, so you just need proper kit... but moust of bolt on kits, are just half kits... really confusing!

How much would cost me basic turbo set up, even withouth intercooler, to start of? I could upgrade it it later on... You know any good ones?

for me must be scariest thing: I can buy little by little stuff for N/A, so i can keep upgrading mine 5, withouth skinning mine account... when if i would go for turbo, it would be BANG! spending a small fortune, and then buying even more stuff to make that kit working...

Mine aim is to make mine mx5 to be able do some sideway action when i whant to have some fun, but i still whant to keep it normal raod car, so there wount be any striping :). but would i have enought power to satisfy mine needs with N/a power?

Lads... I really need your help on this, i am allready spending hours webing, finding info, hearing stories... I will go crazy soon... If you have biulded turbo on your 5, please help me with info. Would love to talk with person, who actually done it!

THANKS!
shadowhearth

Re: N/A maximum? Is turbocharging the only way?

Postby shadowhearth » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 4:38 +0000

No one? :?
shadowhearth

Postby Stig » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 4:47 +0000

Shadow,

lash this up again the FI section of the forum and you should get some replies there! Or just skip all of it, and fit a supercharger! :mrgreen:
Stig

Postby Steve » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:23 +0000

Lots of questions there dude..

shadowhearth wrote:How much can i push out from N/A engine, realisticly, withouth spending your kidneys on it? Mk2 1.8

How much performance i would see atleast with these mods:

1. Racing beat intake + Cold air duct
http://www.gomiata.com/mamicoairdub.html
http://www.gomiata.com/adphotracbea1.html
2. Mongoose full exhaust with decat
3. IL motorsport stainless steel tubular manifold
http://www.ilmotorsport.de/shop/article ... 03737771bd

140hp standard.. maybe another 15hp-ish.. probably not a whole lot more. 155hp is pretty good in such a light car though.

shadowhearth wrote:what else i could do?

More reading ;-)
Try searching this forum :
http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/

shadowhearth wrote:How much would cost me basic turbo set up, even withouth intercooler, to start of? I could upgrade it it later on... You know any good ones?

If you find someone who can make you a downpipe + manifold you could do your own.. take a turbo from a scrapped Volvo/Saab/Subaru, run some oil supply lines + keep it @ 6psi or less...
This looks like it might be a start..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/90-02-Mazda-MX5-Eunos-1-8L-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold_W0QQitemZ120457271813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0bd01a05&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

shadowhearth wrote:for me must be scariest thing: I can buy little by little stuff for N/A, so i can keep upgrading mine 5, withouth skinning mine account... when if i would go for turbo, it would be BANG! spending a small fortune, and then buying even more stuff to make that kit working...

You can still upgrade at your own pace.. intercooler kit prices have fallen to around 100stlg, larger injectors + Wideband O2 sensors can be found for similar.

shadowhearth wrote:Mine aim is to make mine mx5 to be able do some sideway action when i whant to have some fun, but i still whant to keep it normal raod car, so there wount be any striping :). but would i have enought power to satisfy mine needs with N/a power?

Lads... I really need your help on this, i am allready spending hours webing, finding info, hearing stories... I will go crazy soon... If you have biulded turbo on your 5, please help me with info. Would love to talk with person, who actually done it!

THANKS!

Are you going to Roscommon? I'll bring you for a spin :mrgreen:
Steve
Site Admin

Postby shadowhearth » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:31 +0000

Srigley, m8, you did it yourself?

Problem is i am not that good at mechanical side, but i a m not 100% newb :D

but i got a friend, who biulded 320hp glanza himslef, so he will be mine left and right hand :D

I wouldnt trust ebay stuff, as it cracks up very easy, i found alot of stuff on net about it :(.

I actually dont whant to go any more then 200bhp, it would be more then enought for me now!

can you look here a bit: http://www.bellengineering.net/index.ph ... 85d2e54eaa

would that be a good place to start, they have even some starter packs.

they have some of those chinese turbos, but lads on osme forums are kind of good opinion about them...

Would you be able to give me a hand with all this, even in private? I would need someone who could tell me what do i need, and where to get. And what extra mods i need to do
shadowhearth

Postby Steve » Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:59 +0000

>Srigley, m8, you did it yourself?
Yes

>I wouldnt trust ebay stuff, as it cracks up very easy, i found alot of stuff on net >about it :(.
I buy mostly from ebay. You just need to do your research and choose wisely.

>I actually dont whant to go any more then 200bhp, it would be more then >enought for me now!
uhuh ;-)

>can you look here a bit: http://www.bellengineering.net/index.ph ... 85d2e54eaa
>would that be a good place to start, they have even some starter packs.
>they have some of those chinese turbos, but lads on osme forums are kind of >good opinion about them...
Bell engineering have good manifolds. The Chinachargers have been making good impression on those who tried them out too.

>Would you be able to give me a hand with all this, even in private? I would need >someone who could tell me what do i need, and where to get. And what extra >mods i need to do
There might be a list somewhere.. Fergal or AJ might have it.. but feel free to fire up your questions here.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:10 +0000

Cheers m8, il check on in , do a list of questions tommorow after work.

As i understand, you wouldnt bash out those china turbos? I did heard myself a good opinions about them, people ussually take those turbo kits, and replace worse components...

How much did it cost you to make it turbo m8? How much hp you got ?
shadowhearth

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 22 Aug 2009 2:03 +0000

Sorry i did not replyed so long, i was on holidays in northen ireland. Back home now, so ill resume it.

Btw m8, will you be on on this ring of kerry? i would love to see your turbo set up IRL.

I kind of found some stuff i will whant you to check it out later.
shadowhearth

Postby shadowhearth » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:48 +0000

hey m8, can you look at this:

http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... cts_id=397

Its a basic kit, with no intercooler, which really suits me. It wouldnt cost me a leg now, and i can put intercooler later, even ebay one i guess.

It says it has not fuel managment system, but would i get away with one of theses?

http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... ducts_id=4

Or maybe you know a good ECU? which is reasonably priced aswell.

Btw what would i be missing in that kit for full bolt on? And would it still work withouth turbo exhaust?
shadowhearth

Postby Steve » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 6:44 +0000

That kit looks pretty good for the price! I'd be looking into it closer if I was in the same position as yourself.

As for fuel management .. don't try and "get away with" anything in the fuelling/ignition area, worth spending money here so you don't blow your engine.
Am not sure what you'll need for the mk2.. best find out what others have done
Steve
Site Admin

Postby alan_d » Tue, 25 Aug 2009 9:45 +0000

if it helps at all, im running an 1.8L in my 1600 na, with a tubular mani, straight through, and backbox, JR ignition leads, blitz sus air filter and heat shield, 14.5degrees timing, organic clutch, always ran on super, threw down 151bhp, albeit still on the 1600 ecu, using a flyin miata adaptor plate to use the stock ecu and maf etc
alan_d

Postby Fergus » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 5:59 +0000

Firstly, you say that you want to get more power from an 'N/A' engine but then say you have a Mk2 1.8 - do you own a Mk1 or a Mk2 ? An 'NA' is a 1.6 engine if I remember correctly at this late hour :lol:

Be aware of one very important point - the Bell Engineering China Chargers are NOT the same as the China Chargers being sold on Ebay - stay very very far away from those kits on Ebay.

If you want to do it on the cheap then do some research on MiataTurbo.net first, you will learn a shed load from all the different 1.8 DIY Turbo projects there.

If you want 200bhp+ (and you WILL want that '+' sign), then you'll have to upgrade a few parts in the car before hand - no point having that much power in the car without it being able to handle it or put it down on the road surface etc. What suspension are you running right now ?

Intercoolers, what type of setup are you aiming for ? There are loads of different IC setups for both 1.6 and 1.8 Mx5s so you will need to build your turbo setup in your head, get it down on paper and then decided on the IC setup that you want in your car.

Also, there's a guy in the North that's selling a complete turbo kit (second hand) for a 1.8, it may be worth checking out and he also has an SC kit (second hand) for a 1.8 :thumleft: (more power is available from a turbo kit than an SC kit BTW).

I'll ask him for his email address for you to be able to contact him about it if you want and you can take it from there. If you do, find out what the kit contents are and post them up here before making any decisions about buying anything.

Oh and one last thing, if your doing a search on Ebay.com for Mx5 parts then use 'Miata' instead of Mx5 as that's what Mx5s are called there.
Fergus

Postby Steve » Mon, 31 Aug 2009 8:20 +0000

Fergus wrote:Firstly, you say that you want to get more power from an 'N/A' engine but then say you have a Mk2 1.8 - do you own a Mk1 or a Mk2 ? An 'NA' is a 1.6 engine if I remember correctly at this late hour :lol:

In this context, N/A = Naturally Aspirated & FI = Forced Induction
Steve
Site Admin

Postby shadowhearth » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:51 +0000

[quote="Fergus"]Firstly, you say that you want to get more power from an 'N/A' engine but then say you have a Mk2 1.8 - do you own a Mk1 or a Mk2 ? An 'NA' is a 1.6 engine if I remember correctly at this late hour :lol:

hey hey fergy, thx for noticing me ;)

I put it as N/A, so i had in mine natural aspired. Sorry if i made it confusing.

Can you drop me an email of this fella, ill check how muh he whants for it, and what is SC kit? Still not very good at it. "edit" supercharger, lol :D, which brand does he have?

I had a plan on getting that kit from BEGI with china charger, i know its china, but alot of people happy with them!

So ill just wirte mine thoughts and you guys tell me where i am wrong, and what am i missing, i am still prety green at it :D

I am not even aiming at alot of hp at this stage, i whant to get turbo kit for now, pure basic( money situation is not greatest, got even worse when i started thread, as i got only 23hours to work next weak... :? ). If ill get 160-180hp for now i will be happy as pig in sh*t

1. I have a 10th aniversery edition, it has prety good standart suspention, and torsen diff, so suspention is good enought i guess.

2. Before getting turbo kit i whant to get a clutch + flywheel
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... ucts_id=26
what you think about this deal?

3. get china charger basic S pack, withouth intercooler. This pack does not have any feuling system, so i will need advice on that further down.
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... cts_id=397

4. there are prety cheap and decent intercoolers on ebay, for around 150eu. I heard that they are prety decent... maybe it would do for beggining.

5. feuling system, now here i am just confused. Now i was told: i can have all kit installed, then get car on "trolly" for remaping and dyno run. then i founded this: http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... ucts_id=29 . As mich as i understand, thats the way of getting more fuel safely, withouth even touching ecu, or i am missing something. there is more info about FMU if you just go on it separatly. Or if ill go turbo, i just will need to buy some expencive engine managment ecu? :( which will cost allmoust as much as al turbo kit...

So guys, be gental, i am still prety newbish, but i whant to get all info, before even starting something...
shadowhearth

Postby leamyj » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 2:20 +0000

Before you start turbo'ing the car, you might want to check with your insurance company if they are still gonna cover you when the job is done. It's not uncommon for an insurance company to refuse to pay out after an accident involving a non-declared engine modification, and they are also likely to increase your annual premium once you do declare and move to the dark side...so be careful before spending your money on equipment.

John
leamyj

Next

Return to Turbo Talk