Login    Register

Moss supercharger?

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
Moss supercharger?

Postby shadowhearth » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 6:57 +0000

i am looking at it now really often :D

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... exID=16224

I am thinking to renew mine supercharging/turbocharging plans. I think il be skipping s14 idea after all as april comes really soon now!

Would be few question lads:

how complete this kit is then? It uses powercards, i heard they are prety crap engine managment, but would that do for awile untill i get something like Greedy E-manage piggy back?

if its not complete, what would i need extra for it( not talking about clutch and exhaust)

what kind of power we would be looking at 6-7psi( that kit is set for that) from this kit? I would be aiming to 200rwhp power in the end, no need for more ( i hope ;) )

i heard horror stories about JR p45, thought mp62 was prety stable...

Would love to hear your opinion guys.

p.s. Anyone dealed with flynnmiata? they got prety decent turbo charge kit, but i am really skeptical of dealing with non eu companies lately... specially when BEGI being bunch of pr***s on communication :(
shadowhearth

Re: Moss supercharger?

Postby charged_rs » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 9:51 +0000

the mp62's on a 1.8 will give ou about 180 bhp

the m45 (aka jackson racing)will give you approx 190 ish

the only thing about the m45 , is that its out of its effieiceny range after 200 bhp

the mp62 is still within effieicncy range upto 230bhp iirc

ie..if you want big power , go with the mp62

for me ... i got a jrsc kit and stuck it onto my mk2 1.8..... i was really quite happy with the performance and did think about spending another grand on upgrades to get another 20bhp , then decided it wasnt worth it.

yes , the powercards are crap. Get something different , AEM do a fuel / timing controller and they are easy to use and program.
I still have some 6 psi maps on my laptop here. fitting the AEM is easy :)

emanage are ok ( complicated to tune) but there is better available now for the same sort of money.

Have you ever driven a supercharged car ?
turbo cars are scary stuff... unpredictable = not cool on a fast exit on a roundabout = brown trouser moments
Mine will be back on the road with the next 2 months and if you are ever in the north give me a shout and ill let you have a ride.
charged_rs

Postby shadowhearth » Mon, 08 Mar 2010 10:12 +0000

hey thanks allready! yours mk2 supercharged aswell then? you use m45 or m62?

supercharged is way smoother, i know. And it would suit me better as i am only 200hp. Its enought for me for some sideways fun.

would power cards do for the moment then? Or which ecu you would recomend me then? dont whant to go for some fancy ecu which will cost 1k eu just for 200hp...

what about fitting, would supercharger be a bit easyer then turbo? As i do have some knowladge about turbo engines now, but i have not even a clue about SC :(
shadowhearth

Postby charged_rs » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 1:14 +0000

i had the m45 - jackson racing kit
i dyno'd 191bhp and 151 torque

that was on a 98 mk2 rs 6 speed with os giken 2 way diff
Dont foget , the 98 , 99 1.8 mk2 engines , have a built in knock sensor ;) which is good news. BUt i disconnect mine when im getting it tuned on the rolling road

she was nice and quick, with more than enough power for those sideways moments when you wanted it :wink:

the powercards are cheap and do the job but they will make you run rich and use lots more fuel.

As for ecu - the AEM FIC get my vote , but then again , its what i used and i find them easy to use. There are too many horror stories of people getting greddy emanage's then a few weeks later they are asking for new engines :mrgreen: = epic fail. The AEM is only £200 - £300 depending where you buy it from.

if you buy good kit , then pay for a good tune on a rolling road ,you have nothing to worry about.
I wanted a fit and forget job and the AEM did what i wanted.

suoercharger installs are super easy,
tubo installs are harder as you have to drill the sump for the oil return etc and is a pain in the ass.
M45 install takes about 2 hours , not hard at all.
last mp62 i did for a fella in newtownards took just over 3.5 hrs but we encountered some rusty bolts that rung off his exhaust manifold heatshield , whih slowed me down a little.
He got his kit from http://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com
charged_rs

Postby shadowhearth » Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:16 +0000

he got that 190++ kit?

it comes with no engine managment?

Supercharges dont have much of torgue? :(

they are prety safe for ordering then? ( link you gave me)

i am Still abit jumpy between SC and turbo. looks like turbo has alot more potential. thought i love idea of supercharging :P.

one more thing that bothers me, the nearest RR from mine place would be a good 100milles+, i wount be able to drive car that much on unmapped supercharged engine...
shadowhearth

Postby sebna2 » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 6:38 +0000

You can disconnect belt from SC and go for tuning without SC running.
sebna2

Postby charged_rs » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:39 +0000

sebna2 wrote:You can disconnect belt from SC and go for tuning without SC running.

thats one way to do it , albeit it dangerous since you loose power steering = dangerous = fail

the other way to do it is to wire / cable tie the bypass open so you never make boost , and you get to keep powersteering = less dangerous = win
charged_rs

Return to Turbo Talk