Login    Register

boost

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
boost

Postby ger » Fri, 28 Jun 2013 9:40 +0000

Here is a good explanation of what to expect from going turbo. Corky bells maximum boost.

ger

Re: boost

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:35 +0000

That book is the greatest load of shite i ever had the misfortune of buying. Inaccurate, arrogant drivel by a so called expert. I would never recomend anyone buying it . Sorry Ger, not aimed at you but its full of contradictions and is not based on real engineering fact. Its a coffee table or "jacks" read. It told me nothing and will confuse those with no knowledge.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby leamyj » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:28 +0000

Talking about turbo's..has anyone else viewed the Mighty Car Mods series of 3 videos on youtube where they turbo a mk1..it's very interesting , jeez there's an awful lot of work involved ..the mapping/tuning thing would scare the bejaysus out of me( or rather the costings of the whole thing would) I'll look up the vid's and stick them on here....
leamyj

Postby leamyj » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:34 +0000

Here they are..I know that these guys do a lot of shouting and it can be off-putting..but these vids are a must-view for anyone considering going to the dark side..they'll either put you off the idea or encourage you even more to do it!! :)

enjoy!

John
leamyj

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:36 +0000

Its very good John, and yeah, its a lot of work if your doing a diy install. But, when you study the subject and know what you want you can do it the way you want it and not rely on someone elses suck it and see engineering talents. Its a big subject to learn but once you can read compressor maps you can then see what YOU need and not what someone else has eventually got to work properly.
Im nearly there but time is precious so its being done in spurts.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby pjmazda » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 2:39 +0000

I think mighty car mod guys made it more difficult than it could be. By building their own manifold, not using megasquirt etc etc lot of soldering and welding that I think you could avoid here....
pjmazda

Postby ger » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 8:06 +0000

The turbo issue seems to bring about a lot of arguments, its safe to say you can throw as much money as you want at boosting your 5.
There is a lot of snobbery around what system you are running etc. Years ago a most people on miata turbo were using simple systems (ban aids) and that was what was discussed now people get flamed for mentioning such stuff. It is possible to boost a car on a budget, I bought a greddy kit cheap with a bipes on mx5 mad for €700, added an o2 clamp for €50 some tan top injectors for €50 an ebay intercooler and universal pipe kit for €140 with a few more bits and bobs here and there but no great expense, I already had a decent exhaust system.
I have been running at between 6 and 8psi for 5 years, my engine has 295,000 kms now and is still pulling well, 8psi should add roughly 60-70bhp and makes for a quick little car. I get full boost at just over 3k rpm and can run neck and neck with my friends 240bhp fiat coupe 20v turbo from a rolling start to 180kph. I did all the work myself in a 1 car garage with no special tools and a bit of common sense. I had the turbo and intercooler done in a weekend and have been driving the car ever since.
ger

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sun, 30 Jun 2013 10:54 +0000

Its a nice piece of work too Ger.
I just have a thing about off the shelf systems,they are usually engineered like oem stuff....ie safe.
The americans are soo feckin arrogant about what they do which is way behind us over here and that "book" was an utter dissapointment. Everything is written as if we are all gobshites and must do what he says. Also remember the yanks love gobs of low down power and hate high revving engines so quick spooling turbos that choke at 5k suit them. Sorta ruins the high revving nature or the 5.

Anyhows, its something i always wanted to do and its well on the way. Ill be using a Link ECU but everything else is bespoke and designed for what i want. I wont be starting a build thread.......too many of those but will summarise when finished.
sidewaysreilly

Postby leamyj » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 10:09 +0000

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour!! :)

John
leamyj

Postby Steve » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 12:04 +0000

cool! Give me a shout when you are doing your tuning, am hoping to have mine back on the road soon and will be retuning then. Wouldn't mind trading thoughts on getting the "last 10%"
Steve
Site Admin

Postby sidewaysreilly » Mon, 01 Jul 2013 7:24 +0000

Certainly will Steve. Gonna try to tune according to compressor map.
sidewaysreilly

Postby rhysmate » Thu, 11 Jul 2013 2:05 +0000

What clutch are you hoping to use? Its a 1.8 isnt it?

You can take so many routes on boosting these cars. It all depends on what sort of power you want. The american lads like high end power whereas we over here are happy with lower power levels (generally). I for one love how quickly my t25 spools up, and in my opinion its more than enough power for me to be able to use day to day. As long as you have a good exhaust and a decent map youll be well on the way.
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Return to Turbo Talk