Login    Register

Looking For Advice On What Parts

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
Looking For Advice On What Parts

Postby Randy » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 8:05 +0000

Hi folks,

So I've picked up a few bits for my turbo build, namely a T28, Intercooler/piping, lines, boost gauge, manual boost controller, BOV..

I'm going to be getting a manifold and down pipe setup off Sturovo on here, along with the gaskets and braided lines.

This is for a 1.8 mk2 Nardi, 140bhp

The parts I need more info on are as follows: (NOTE: I'm going to be looking to run at least 200bhp when all done and dusted)

Injectors

To keep the car running safe boost, I'm not convinced the stock injectors will run the kind of power I want. What injectors would you guys recommend for a 200+bhp power level? Currently looking at these:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/INJECTORS-DENSO- ... 19bcc9143f

ECU

This is where I'm a little clueless.. I have no idea what ECU to go for, let alone where to source one. I've heard lots of good things about the MS2, but where can I pick one up? Also, would it be better to see about getting it mapped before it goes on the car? Is there someone on here that can do that?

Alloy Rad

I recently got a lot of work done to the engine, including a replace of the head gasket, water pump, and timing kit. But I think for safety I should look into a nice Alloy rad, possibly from Driftworks. Any opinions on other ones that would be worth going for?

Fuel Pump

I'm not sure of the power of the stock pump, so I think a bigger, better one is in order. I have a friend who says he has a spare one from his old GTST R34.. I don't know if this would actually fit though, so any advice on what pump could suit would be greatly appreciated.

This leads me nicely into..

FPR

What decent aftermarket FPR's are there out there for these cars? These are something I've never heard being spoken of in the same sentence as MX5. Maybe I'm just in the wrong circles. :) So any opinions on decent regulators is totally welcome.

Incase you want to see the kit I currently have, here's a link to my build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6104

Sorry for the long post, but you can understand that I want to be thorough about what parts I get for this. So in that respect please tell me if I'm on the right track or wrong. Any advice you guys have is welcome. :)
Randy

Re: Looking For Advice On What Parts

Postby MX5Spares » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 8:45 +0000

Hi ,I am not well up on the turbo end of things but I am told the Mazda rx8 injectors are suitable.???
MX5Spares

Postby Randy » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 9:03 +0000

autocheck wrote:Hi ,I am not well up on the turbo end of things but I am told the Mazda rx8 injectors are suitable.???

Yeah they're what I'm looking at atm, also received a few other suggestions on what to go for. :)
Randy

Postby scallan » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 9:24 +0000

I have heard reverant over on mx5nutz is very good with sales and after sales service of megasquirt ecu's and i have a driftworks supercool rad in my mk2 perfect fitment amd keeps temps cool. Also bought it through barrys motorsport in cork Which was tiny bit cheaper than driftworks and had it in 2days
scallan

Postby Randy » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 9:25 +0000

scallan wrote:I have heard reverant over on mx5nutz is very good with sales and after sales service of megasquirt ecu's and i have a driftworks supercool rad in my mk2 perfect fitment amd keeps temps cool. Also bought it through barrys motorsport in cork Which was tiny bit cheaper than driftworks and had it in 2days

I JUST PM'ed him for a quote. :P
yeah was looking at DW rads, and they look awesome, but then I spied this fella: http://fast5.co.uk/mk2-alloy-rad/ Same thing, and a lot cheaper than DW. He's also on nutz, so I might PM him about it before I commit.
Randy

Postby AndyJF » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 9:34 +0000

Has the clutch been upgraded? Be a real kick in the stones with all that power and no way to put it to the road.
As for ECU i hear alot of good things about Megasquirt MS2. Id say to try http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk/
AndyJF

Postby Randy » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:49 +0000

AndyJF wrote:Has the clutch been upgraded? Be a real kick in the stones with all that power and no way to put it to the road.
As for ECU i hear alot of good things about Megasquirt MS2. Id say to try http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk/

yeah clutch is something I've been looking at. The 1.8 one is suppose to be stronger, but I will be looking at upgrading this once it's turbo'd
Randy

Postby AndyJF » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:11 +0000

You should look at fitting the ecu first before fitting the turbo. Also a wideband O2 sensor. Learn to tune it without a turbo. I hear tuning with a turbo is a bit more involved but if you can tune an non turbo it will be easier.
AndyJF

Postby Randy » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:27 +0000

AndyJF wrote:You should look at fitting the ecu first before fitting the turbo. Also a wideband O2 sensor. Learn to tune it without a turbo. I hear tuning with a turbo is a bit more involved but if you can tune an non turbo it will be easier.

Thinking about reaching to a local fella up here and see if he'd be up for tuning it for me. Also looking at a wideband, yeah.
Randy

Postby aaron eunos » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 2:02 +0000

im clueless also on the mx5 side of turbos one thing i do know is a lot of people are running rx8 injectors
randy great thread btw :)
aaron eunos

Postby Steve » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 2:20 +0000

I have RC Engineering 440cc injectors (some on ebay), ACT clutch (which is heavy but doesn't slip), an ECU, an intercooler + stock radiator and had been running around 200hp for 10 years like that, no need for an upgraded fuel pump or FPR at that power level, the stock pump is plenty.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby motthomas » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 1:16 +0000

AndyJF wrote:You should look at fitting the ecu first before fitting the turbo. Also a wideband O2 sensor. Learn to tune it without a turbo. I hear tuning with a turbo is a bit more involved but if you can tune an non turbo it will be easier.

I'd +1 that. I'm currently EFIing a bike from scratch so had to learn the megasquirt controls and capabilities. If I had the MX5 at the time I started to do the bike, I probably would have squirted the car first to learn to use the ECU. Would you think about a DIYPNP unit? I think they come in at $425 from the US and you assemble yourself. (or get someone else to do it. They are based on a microsquirt v3 board with some add-ons. PNP means there is very few wiring changes to make to incorporate the ECU, just to install the wideband and do a MAF delete.

The more you can learn on an N/A engine the better because the potential for stuff going wrong while learning on a boosted engine is higher. Plus, the way you could look at it is you are going to need to install the ECU at some point, why not do it now and be tuning and learning to use it while collecting and building the rest of the system?
motthomas

Postby Randy » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 2:17 +0000

All sound advice, lads. From what I can tell, an ECU and clutch should be the first bits I get and fit them first to see how they take.. The clutch should probably be bedded in first I suppose.. Makes sense.
Randy

Postby [L'e$kro] » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 3:38 +0000

+1 on all the above!
Install everything you can in advance to make things easier to finish the job..

Start with the ECU. I'd recommend a MSPNP gen 2 (MS2), you can install in a few minutes, just a fuse to remove and a vacuum line to run through the bulkhead.
DIYPNP is fine too, I've assembled a few it takes a long afternoon to solder, but you would have to scratch your head about wiring the main board to the connector board. A used MSPNP would be ideal..

You'll also need to install an AFR kit. I have an Innovate LC1 on the 205 and a PLX AFR on the MX5 and they both rely on the same Bosch sensor.
I have the 450cc yellow RX8 injectors, and they were cheap on ebay..
I believe your stock 1.8 clutch will be enough for low boost, the 1.8 pressure plate has way more preload than the 1.6 that I have.
But then if you plan on winding up the boost later it might be worth replacing it anyway..

I wouldn't bother with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, it will just make tuning more difficult. It's just a hack to fuel more when you can't afford a mappable ECU
Nico
[L'e$kro]

Return to Turbo Talk