Login    Register

Ugh....at least it was not stolen

General No Mazda Content (NMC) discussion
  • Author
Ugh....at least it was not stolen

Postby retrothis » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 1:56 +0000

Got into the car this morning to try and change that nylon bush at the bottom of the gear lever. Notice a funny smell...
Then noticed this:

then this:

Look under the steering column, and see this:

So, looks like whoever got inside, pried off the bottom panel by twisting the entire steering column with his foot.
For whatever reason, they were not able to start it though. Have to wait for the crime unit to examine the damage before I can try and fix it.

Is this damage serious? The misalignment of the column I mean.
retrothis

Re: Ugh....at least it was not stolen

Postby Fla » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 2:06 +0000

That's shocking. Why do scum bags love the mx5 so much. It would make you want to keep a dog in the car at night. Hopefully the damage isn't too severe.
Fla
---I'm back----
Fla

Postby rhysmate » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 2:15 +0000

Shit man! where were you parked?? gimme a shout if you need help
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Postby retrothis » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 2:27 +0000

Fla wrote:That's shocking. Why do scum bags love the mx5 so much. It would make you want to keep a dog in the car at night. Hopefully the damage isn't too severe.

Yeah, prob cos they are older, so "obviously" no one would care. A removable D1 Spec boss kit is on the list for me.

rhysmate wrote:Shit man! where were you parked?? gimme a shout if you need help

Cheers bud! Was just at the back of my house. I'm thinking that they got the wrong wires. I'd say the ones they ripped out control the lights and such... :roll:
retrothis

Postby rhysmate » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 4:50 +0000

Is the back of your house on the street?? Id say its time for a tracker so at least i could find the car myself if stolen!!

Glad you still have it man!
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Postby retrothis » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 6:39 +0000

rhysmate wrote:Is the back of your house on the street?? Id say its time for a tracker so at least i could find the car myself if stolen!!

Glad you still have it man!

Yep, in the car park out back! Took it appart there, spewing....

Time to play a game "what is bent". I cant figure it out. Is it just the massive, welded U-bracket that is bent, or is there something else going on?

How the rack sits:

The rack itself

The actual mounting bracket on the car may also be bent, but im really not sure. I've never seen an undamaged one.
retrothis

Postby MX5Spares » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 6:41 +0000

Steering shaft is twisted you need to replace it .It will never straighten correctly that's why you see mx5,s with the switches slightly offset . We have steering shafts for 40e but you may need lock etc and plastic cowlings to cover switches , all of which we have . There are two types up to 1994 or after 1994. my number is 086 8226506 if you need advice fitting it etc . Two lads usually grab a side of the wheel and rock it left/right till locks breaks or shaft twists.I suppose you were lucky it did not vanish totally .Easy pickings on the older non immobiliser type cars that's why they rob old starlets,micra/mx5 fiesta etc.PS either take off the ignition lock or check the internal locking section as it can come on while your driving if its damaged . The little tongue inside gets bent to one side but I seen cars where it popped out while driving.....Bad
MX5Spares

Postby retrothis » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 8:39 +0000

Thanks for your help Robert.

I had a look at the switch assembly. It seems to be held together via some tiny pins.
How are these removed?
retrothis

Postby retrothis » Sun, 04 May 2014 8:04 +0000

The removable steering boss arrived the other day. The install was pretty straight forward. But need to figure out why the horn button does not work anymore.
I guess now, the thieves will have to call to the house :shock:

Steering wheel:

No steering wheel:

I like the kit, I ordered the black/chrome one for a bit moar stelth. I find the position of the wheel is an improvement, I like having it a bit closer. The negative is that now I can not reach neither the indicator nor the wiper stalks with me fingers. Something to get used to. Oh, I also broke the tabs on that white plastic colar on the steering columns, now the indicators do not self cancel..... :roll:
retrothis

Return to General discussion