Login    Register
  • Author
Engine timing and Ecu Remap

Postby Diarmuid » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 9:13 +0000

Hey lads, I am looking into Advancing the timing to 14 degrees remap and soon after doing a ecu remap, but TBH I have never done either to a car before and so I am unsure of the results, what do you guys think? And where is the best place to get both done?
Diarmuid

Re: Engine timing and Ecu Remap

Postby Steve » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 10:50 +0000

you can advance the timing but you can't remap the stock ECU without going to a huge amount of trouble, have a read of this thread on socketing the ECU
Probably be much easier to swop it out for a megasquirt or link.
sidewaysreilly has replaced the crystal in his ecu to raise the rev limit in the past I think though.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Diarmuid » Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:51 +0000

Steve wrote:you can advance the timing but you can't remap the stock ECU without going to a huge amount of trouble, have a read of this thread on socketing the ECU
Probably be much easier to swop it out for a megasquirt or link.
sidewaysreilly has replaced the crystal in his ecu to raise the rev limit in the past I think though.

Thanks Steve, I didn't know that. So lets keep it simple for now then, if I advance the timing to 14 degrees I know it will increase the low end torque but what affect will it have any affect on motor way cruising? I drive up and down from Cork to Dublin a fair bit and right now the 5 uses more fuel than my 2.0 supercharged merc, so it would be nice if this would have a more positive affect on that. At the moment when I am doing 120kph its doing about 3.8k RPM so if advancing the timing could possible lower the rpm required that would be fantastic.
Diarmuid

Postby Steve » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 2:28 +0000

Advancing the timing just moves the powerband down the rev range a little bit really so can also loose a little topend power.
See here for more than you'll ever want to know about ignition timing :-)
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Engine Mods