Login    Register

Alignment

From lights and exhausts, to bodykits and stripes
  • Author
Alignment

Postby MX5Steve » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 9:21 +0000

Did my track rod ends the other day and now need to look at getting the tracking and alignment done.
Anyone got their wheels aligned to settings other than OEM,
and is there differences between the eunos and uk versions...

I've bought a set of alignment bolts to replace the old ones, my local alignment crowd are asking I fit these first. Can I just grind the old ones out? I'm thinking that when I remove the old ones and fit the new ones, she'll drive like a dog until I get her to the garage...
MX5Steve

Re: Alignment

Postby Steve » Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:28 +0000

Hey Steve,

Give 'em another 20 and get them to do them at the same time? They will most likely snap anyway.. possible to do yourself but a PITA/not the safest hangin out of rusty/siezed bolt heads with the car on jack stands.

I went for an alignment and they started snapping "oh.. I happen to have new ones in the boot".. they just hammer out the old one with a screwdriver and pop in the new one.
IMHO It would be v.dangerous to try driving with your alignment all over the place.. even slowly.. its dodgy enough with just your toe/steering settings off..

Steve
Steve
Site Admin

Postby adm » Wed, 16 Dec 2009 4:09 +0000

it's not rocket science for them to change them out anyways - i'd tell them they're in the boot and to fit them themselves

any self respecting alignment place will have the tools/capability of changing them out
Looking for duck tail spoiler , mazdaspeed half cage
adm

Postby andrew » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 4:36 +0000

I had mine on standard settings for a year. It was very good. under and oversteer was very predictable and you needed to provoke them both. However the outer half of all tyres were wearing very quickly after track days. (toyo T1r 195/50 R15) So I went for more neg camber. -1.0 up front and -1.5 at back, as much caster as I could get 3.5 to 4.5 approx and zero toe front and back. The car now grips a bit better at the back, but does not feels as pregressive as before. There is loads of grip up front, so much that now the back comes out if I turn in as quick as possible. I will leave it at these settings untill next track day. If its not better, I 'm going back to standard.
I had a bit of difficulty getting a garage to set it at anything other than standard. Advance on naas road, did a excellant job and even let me look and say yes or no on each adjustment.
andrew

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sun, 27 Feb 2011 5:06 +0000

Did a lot of searchin for this before i got the allignment done. Most agree as do i that 1mm toe in front and rear, -1 front and -1 to -1.5 rear(camber) and as much caster as possible front is the ideal setting . Full on track use may require more.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby Fergus » Sun, 13 Mar 2011 2:28 +0000

Check out different setups under 'Alignment' http://www.miata.net/garage/garagehandling.html

I've had various settings dialed in over the years (Lanny/BlackIce etc) but the best I found was for the 'MK1 Eunos Roadster Cabriolet' which was preset in the laser alignment machine itself. NOTE is wasn't the 'Mazda MK1 Mx5' settings.

Defo change the alignment bolts if you have a Mk1 as they are known to bend - Mx5 Parts stock the upgraded ones.
Be aware of driving the car after you have changed the bolts though, it will not go in the direction you think it will (been there done that). And it will take a good laser alignment shop at least a few hours to set the car back up again correctly.

Overall, it all depends on your shocks/springs and how YOU want the car to handle ;)
Fergus

Return to Exterior Mods