Login    Register

Broken electric Aerial - won't retract :(

From lights and exhausts, to bodykits and stripes
  • Author
Broken electric Aerial - won't retract :(

Postby Amri » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 5:55 +0000

Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a gorgeous 2002 Phoenix 1.8 litre MX-5!!

There is a problem however with the electric aerial. It was working when I picked up the car at the dealership 2 days ago, but since then it won't retract.

When you turn the radio off, you can hear clicking sounds so something is going on somewhere, and using a multimeter there is power getting as far as the motor at least - where do I go from here without having to bring the car back to a garage?

What should I check and how do I check it?

Thanks a lot!
Amri

Re: Broken electric Aerial - won't retract :(

Postby leamyj » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 6:19 +0000

Hi Amri, sounds like the motor/cog is not engaging the toothed plastic strip. As far as I know it is possible to purchase a replacement, it was posted on the forum not too long ago. I'll bet that someone will put up the relevant link soon.

John
leamyj

Postby sidewaysreilly » Mon, 13 Sep 2010 7:02 +0000

bring it back to where you bought it.......
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:46 +0000

mx5 parts for replacement mast - 10 min job easy fix

you can try taking seans advice and it back to where you bought it , but dont be surprised if they laugh really hard , point at you and tell you its a wear and tear item.
(sean , sorry but your advice is shit)

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id/488

currently out of stock
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:16 +0000

dont think people here would say my advice is shit.......its honest and informed and im not on here to make a quick buck and then fuck off....Paul.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby charged_rs » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:19 +0000

it really depends who you talk to!

informed lol
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:21 +0000

so in paul defence........start a list......
sidewaysreilly

Postby charged_rs » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:23 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:so in paul defence........start a list......

you say youre informed lol work it out...youre a smart lad ;)
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:30 +0000

dont need to work anyting out.......fitting soft tops and selling things off e bay is childs play. Telling people you will fit their soft top and refusing is insulting. This post is portraying a bad image of this site and not helpful.
sidewaysreilly

Postby charged_rs » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:35 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:dont need to work anyting out.......fitting soft tops and selling things off e bay is childs play. Telling people you will fit their soft top and refusing is insulting. This post is portraying a bad image of this site and not helpful.

:mrgreen: the thing is , i can chose who i help / do business with.
i never said i would fit a hood for him. I refused from the start , cos much like you , he has an attitude that stinks...mostly of prawns

yep , selling stuff is easy sean , especially torsen diffs for £200 when it cost ya £75 lol and whos making a quick buck ?

now hows about you go and fuck off ! :roll:
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:47 +0000

yeah i bought a rear end for £75 . Had to strip and cut a diff from a damaged casing with mangled subframe and rusted shafts. Took 4 hours and in my money thats 200 euros.Got another one for 200 euros and sold it for 200 euros! My origional mint diff is still for sale and is probably sold to the uk for 250 squids. A good buisiness man does not do service on peoples cars who he likes......he makes money. End of. Your off to 350z land and best of luck.
sidewaysreilly

Postby charged_rs » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 1:59 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:yeah i bought a rear end for £75 . Had to strip and cut a diff from a damaged casing with mangled subframe and rusted shafts. Took 4 hours and in my money thats 200 euros.Got another one for 200 euros and sold it for 200 euros! My origional mint diff is still for sale and is probably sold to the uk for 250 squids. A good buisiness man does not service on peoples cars who he likes......he makes money. End of. Your off to 350z land and best of luck.

ahh i thought you were just making a quick buck... and still do , but seriously what sort of fool are you to tell people on this very forum how much you paid and have the balls to ask 200 lol you either have a hard old neck or are just plain thick.
Clearly you will never be a good business person as you cant grasp the basics - the proof is - you still have your dodgy diff .
If i recall correctly you once criticised me for charging £20 an hour but it appears you charge more lol pot ...kettle...black

If the land of z is populated with todgers like you it will be a very sad place - in a tesco value type of way! But alas , theres always one , wherever you go!
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 2:21 +0000

charged_rs wrote:
sidewaysreilly wrote:yeah i bought a rear end for £75 . Had to strip and cut a diff from a damaged casing with mangled subframe and rusted shafts. Took 4 hours and in my money thats 200 euros.Got another one for 200 euros and sold it for 200 euros! My origional mint diff is still for sale and is probably sold to the uk for 250 squids. A good buisiness man does not service on peoples cars who he likes......he makes money. End of. Your off to 350z land and best of luck.

ahh i thought you were just making a quick buck... and still do , but seriously what sort of fool are you to tell people on this very forum how much you paid and have the balls to ask 200 lol you either have a hard old neck or are just plain thick.
Clearly you will never be a good business person as you cant grasp the basics - the proof is - you still have your dodgy diff .
If i recall correctly you once criticised me for charging £20 an hour but it appears you charge more lol pot ...kettle...black

If the land of z is populated with todgers like you it will be a very sad place - in a tesco value type of way! But alas , theres always one , wherever you go!

did you read the post? i would have happily paid for a diff on its own without a casing in good condition up to 300 euros but i got 2 . One for 200, one for £75 & £50 for the use of a workshop and cutting gear and over 4 hours to get it extracted........i dont charge for work on mx5's as i dont need to. Its a hobby and nothing more. I get paid enough and i beg to differ on your hourly rate. Cheap to me.......i dont charge...........its a club........mates.....et al.......
sidewaysreilly

Postby charged_rs » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 2:33 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:Im getting prices from 175 yo yos up to £300........they are havin a laugh. Ill find one tho............and wont be robbed either.

So you dont like being robbed ,but when you can do the robbing , you take to it with such ease!
You say you were happy to pay 300 euro but from the above quote , even 175 yo yos was too much!
You Sir , tell lies!

sidewaysreilly wrote:i dont charge...........its a club........mates.....et al.......

if you gouge all your mates like you tried to do with your "mates"on here im sure youre a popular type of guy.hmmm buy for 75 ...sell for 200 ...crackin deal for your so called mates.

Atleast i made no secret as to what i was doing here , and i offered and will continue to offer sensible , balanced advice that usually hit the spot everytime.

re read what youve typed... as for the mates et al ... no harm in being hopeful
but i wont burst your bubble. :alien:
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:32 +0000

you that cant read mate........one for £75 was in a crashed mangled car. Other one came up at the same time, didnt need it so sold it for what it cost....200euro!
sidewaysreilly

Next

Return to Exterior Mods