Login    Register

Soft top repair

From lights and exhausts, to bodykits and stripes
  • Author
Re: Soft top repair

Postby Neo » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 5:08 +0000

Perfect thanks Charged. Perhaps it might be best to get someone who knows to do it, because I do have a tendency to rush jobs sometimes. The stock roof on the MK1 is like a tarred finish, what are the benefits of a mohair roof? is it harder to look after? or is it just mohair with a tarred like finish?

My MK1 is red and I think the roof deffo has to be a black one, anyone seen any other colours that looked good on a red mk1 or is the black the best?

Thanks Robert, If I'm going to replace the roof it won't be immediately but I'd prefer to get a new one that will last me a good while and will look good at the end. I think if I was to get a second hand one then I might as well just patch this one.

A side question and this might be a bit newbish but does anyone know if you can fit an electric motor to the roof of this model? thought it might be a nice perk to it.
Neo

Postby charged_rs » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 5:38 +0000

Neo wrote:Perfect thanks Charged. Perhaps it might be best to get someone who knows to do it, because I do have a tendency to rush jobs sometimes. The stock roof on the MK1 is like a tarred finish, what are the benefits of a mohair roof? is it harder to look after? or is it just mohair with a tarred like finish?

My MK1 is red and I think the roof deffo has to be a black one, anyone seen any other colours that looked good on a red mk1 or is the black the best?

Thanks Robert, If I'm going to replace the roof it won't be immediately but I'd prefer to get a new one that will last me a good while and will look good at the end. I think if I was to get a second hand one then I might as well just patch this one.

A side question and this might be a bit newbish but does anyone know if you can fit an electric motor to the roof of this model? thought it might be a nice perk to it.

the tarred finish is vinyl
mohair is a far better quality fabric and over time is more durable than vinyl.
vinyl shrinks over time and is noticeable esp on 2nd hand hoods where the roof shrinks above the door rubbers and lets water in behind the seals
this is a pic of what a new hood looks like in terms of fit around the windows

usually 2nd hand vinyl tops are all shrunk around these areas and tbh are a false economy as they wont last.
The only time i would rec a 2nd hand softtop is if you are selling the car on and not looking to keep it for any length of time.

if the fabric doesnt almost cover the rubber seals water will leak in causing all sorts of damp issues .

in terms of care - vinyl hoods are usually neglected and can be kept soft and supple using good old fashioned boot polish
mohair - need washed frequently and waterproofed 2 - 3 times a year. if you dont wash the mohair hoods , dirt gets embedded in the fibres and eventually turn green due to moss etc but they are easily cleaned.

mohair doesnt shrink like vinyl.

aftermarket vinyl hoods , especially at the cheaper end of the spectrum tend to have a lifespan of circa 2 years before they start shrinking. No aftermarket vinyl compares to the quality of the vinyl mazda used. If anyone tells you differently then be very suspicious. An oem mazda hood if cared for will last 10+ years

as for colours - any colour you can think of is available , reds, blues, creams, black, grey etc but on a red car you cant beat a nice rich black mohair
charged_rs

Postby charged_rs » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 5:43 +0000

Neo wrote:A side question and this might be a bit newbish but does anyone know if you can fit an electric motor to the roof of this model? thought it might be a nice perk to it.

with enough money and fabrication im sure it could be done but there are no "kits" out there

a dealer a few years ago used to offer a gas strut fitting kit to help disabled / spasticated drivers raise the softtops once they were lowered. he used to fit these mostly to autos where the driver had issues with their arm etc.

if you are fit and healthy its kind of pointless really plus it will exercise your left arm to balance things out a little ;)
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 7:33 +0000

You could patch it with neoprene. The stuff that Inflatable Boat tubes are made from. If your around Louth / North Dublin i could do it .
Better off getting one off the lads above tho as when they start to go they go pretty quickly.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby Neo » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:20 +0000

charged_rs wrote:usually 2nd hand vinyl tops are all shrunk around these areas and tbh are a false economy as they wont last.
The only time i would rec a 2nd hand softtop is if you are selling the car on and not looking to keep it for any length of time.

if the fabric doesnt almost cover the rubber seals water will leak in causing all sorts of damp issues .

I've noticed that mine has raised a little from the seals. Not enough to start leaking but much more raising and I'll start having that issue alright.

charged_rs wrote: with enough money and fabrication im sure it could be done but there are no "kits" out there

a dealer a few years ago used to offer a gas strut fitting kit to help disabled / spasticated drivers raise the softtops once they were lowered. he used to fit these mostly to autos where the driver had issues with their arm etc.

if you are fit and healthy its kind of pointless really plus it will exercise your left arm to balance things out a little ;)

nah I'm fit and healthy enough and being 33 maybe it is time I balanced out my arms :P

ok so time to get some money together for a mohair lol
Neo

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods