Login    Register

Need help rewiring following fire damage

From chrome to uber-bling l.e.d.'s
  • Author
Need help rewiring following fire damage

Postby ciaran88 » Wed, 10 Aug 2016 9:59 +0000

Following an accidental welding fire, I've had to rewire a complete section of the wiring loom along the drivers seat.

I was able to repair all wires until I came across two wires with the exact same colour and size, blue with a thin red stripe.

Front#1: 12V on ignition, no markings
Front#2: No power on ignition, gold text marking

Rear#1: Leads to fuel pump, no markings
Rear#2: Leads to ???, gold text marking

So going with my best judgement, I joined Front#1>Rear#1 and Front#2>Rear#2, and tried starting it up.

Unfortunately I had been charging the battery and manged to put it back in the wrong way round :oops: After the bit of smoke at the terminals, nothing much went bang and only the main 80A fuse was blown.

So I replaced the fuse and tried again. On ignition, a yellow light above the fuel gauge came on, seems it a rear window demister (Car doesn't have one :? )

When Front#1>Rear#1 is disconnected, the light goes out. Either way the engine will crank strongly, but not start. I can't hear the fuel coming on on ignition, ever with a stethoscope, although I don't recall ever hearing it in the past.

Any ideas?
ciaran88

Re: Need help rewiring following fire damage

Postby MX5Spares » Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:35 +0000

Pump needs to be running when ignition is on anyway.You can easily hear it by ear.

I have automatic car for scrapping here and I can sell you bit of the loom to pump, rear lamps etc
MX5Spares

Postby ciaran88 » Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:23 +0000

Thanks, if the fuel pump should obviously be audible, I think I'll probe it a bit further first
ciaran88

Postby ciaran88 » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 10:35 +0000

Got it sorted anyway, my first guess at the wiring was wrong, it was the opposite way round, the fuel pump only primes on ignition
ciaran88

Return to Interiors stuff