Login    Register

Water in boot

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Water in boot

Postby paulie1981 » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:44 +0000

I know there is a whole section dedicated to this topic but I'll ask the question :)

The car spent it's first night out in the elements (has been covered for a couple of weeks and garaged before that) and the boot was bone dry. I'm sure of this as I only put a new battery (from MX5parts) into it last night.

This morning, after light rain last night, I notice that the spare wheel is a little damp. A quick feel :oops: of the underside of the boot ceiling for want of a better word (not the bootlid, the metal towards the back behind the seal) directly over the wheel revealed some moisture.

The seals seem intact and clean, and the carpet on the shelf is dry as is the interior. Any suggestions?
paulie1981

Re: Water in boot

Postby leamyj » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 2:23 +0000

Condensation???
leamyj

Postby paulie1981 » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 2:41 +0000

leamyj wrote:Condensation???

I doubt it. The boot in general doesn't feel damp and there seems to be a wet patch on the spare wheel. During the heavy rain a few weeks back I had to drain water from the boot and dry out the carpet.

My suspicions lie with the boot hinge above the wheel. The lights are fine as is the aerial. I felt some moisture in the hinge. Might be time to place some chalk or talc and see if the water is draining in there.

Is the hinge a common culprit?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulie1981

Postby Steve » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 4:34 +0000

Check the seal around the hardtop catch's chrome square next maybe..
Steve
Site Admin

Postby leamyj » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 6:54 +0000

Might be no harm to check if your rain rail is cracked. Are you getting any damp/wet on the rear parcel shelf area? If so, it could be making it's way into the boot. I was told years ago of a "knack" to find the source of a leak..just sprinkle a little talcum powder in the suspect area when dry and any subsequent moisture will be traceable..haven't actually tried this but might be worth a try.
Good luck

John
leamyj

Postby paulie1981 » Thu, 17 Dec 2009 9:01 +0000

leamyj wrote:Might be no harm to check if your rain rail is cracked. Are you getting any damp/wet on the rear parcel shelf area? If so, it could be making it's way into the boot. I was told years ago of a "knack" to find the source of a leak..just sprinkle a little talcum powder in the suspect area when dry and any subsequent moisture will be traceable..haven't actually tried this but might be worth a try.
Good luck

John

I put some plastic down in the wheel to see if it's definitely coming in there and it seems dry after a good hour of rain! :roll: One of those pain in the bum things that will take a while to find.

On the bright(ish) side, I have found out why the inside of the car was drenched a few weeks back (and a wet seat today) - a tiny breach in the repair patch on the soft top is letting a tiny drop in and it's soaking the backrest. Going to go to work with the thick black tape tonight, and back to nolan autocare tomorrow for a patch on the outside. The appearance I will jusy have to live with.
paulie1981

Return to Leaks