Login    Register

Bucket of water in boot

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Bucket of water in boot

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:56 +0000

I have been reading various threads on leaks in the boot etc but thought it easier to jsut ask is someone can pinpoint where it might be coming from;

Went to charge VERY dead battery and lifted boot lining only to discover the left hand side of boot just by the light is saturated in about 2' of water. I unscrewed the plastic box by the light and dried it all out. This water was sitting on the internal wires for the left light. :(

My 5 has been sitting in this bad weather for about 6 weeks now and was wondering could the water be getting in round the light seals (I would think unlikely), from the hardtop fitting on boot or drainrails? Any advice much appreciated.

Meanwhile I am trying to re-charge my battery which even though jump started for 15 mins would only give sufficient charge for the lights to work. I took it out and have it charging in the house now for last 12 hours or so and it's still not re-charged...reckon I have to buy a new battery?? Really hope not.

Cheers
anniniwa

Re: Bucket of water in boot

Postby franksm » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:38 +0000

Hi Ann

for leaks, check the drainpipes inside the front of each rear wheel arch are clear; check the aerial isn't leaking; and the bad news is that the lamp clusters are known to leak so perhaps need tightening up (not too much, they are only plastic).

Best to dry out the boot, take the carpets out and attack it with a hose and see if you can make a leak happen (boot closed :wink: ).

For the battery, how old it it ? The gel battery should last 8 years at least. It benefits greatly from trickl-charging (eg. from an Optimate III) charger. You can get these from motorbike shops. Or any other charger that pumps out 0.5A (compared to the 6A that normal charger provide, which isn't so good for a gel battery)

On the other hand, get the car started then driver it for three hours :-) That should charge it up

HTH

F
It's a small world after all. It's a small, small world
franksm

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:44 +0000

Hey Frank,

Thanks for all the advice. I know this may sound silly but will the wheel arch drainpipes be obvious to find? :oops: I know the ariel was a bit iffy of late but put it down to being frozen which may have damaged the seal, if so are these seals easy enough to pick up? I pretty much dried it out last night and will give it a hosedown later on (with boot down) and see what happens. Would it be advisable to take the hard top off and re-fit the frankenstein bolts with coppergrease?

Hmm, lamp clusters?? dunno much bout them but will have a look and see what I can make of it.

Assuming the battery is the original as it's in japanese which would make it 11yrs old. I had no problem with it up to this point starting so hoping it can be salvaged. I have it charging on a 8v charger on normal rather than fast option and hopefully not causing it any damage as it's been on all night and will be on all day whilst I'm at work :(
anniniwa

Postby franksm » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:57 +0000

You can see the drain here, Ann - just in front of the rear wheel:

And this article shows where the top of the drain is, and how to clear them: http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/Room/Topic/?topicId=13403

About the rear lemps - they have four bolts (I think) which are easily seen, so just a matter of tightening them as one may be loose.

Not sure why you want coppergrease on the Frankenstein bolts - if anything, I would put Loctite on the threads to stop them backing out. Or if you mean to put grease on top of the bolt so that the hardtop goes on and off easier, yeah that would be a good idea.

And the aerial - it's probably not your problem unless you have an aftermarket one. If so, could just be a matter of tightening it up. Pour some water around it while you watch it in the boot and see if it's leaking.

Battery: might be time to replace it if it really is 11 years old :-( Still, if you could borrow a trickle-charger, I would go that route. If you get the car charged and take it for a spin (couple of hours), will it start okay the next day ? If so, battery can be recovered with the charger. If not, time for a new one. It's just not holding a charge.

Sorry, all of the leak stuff is a 5 minute job for someone that's done it before. Takes longer to type it out :D Perfect tech-day material
franksm

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 1:31 +0000

And this article shows where the top of the drain is, and how to clear them: http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/Room/Topic/?topicId=13403

Brilliant, thanks.

About the rear lemps - they have four bolts (I think) which are easily seen, so just a matter of tightening them as one may be loose.

Think I might manage that.

Not sure why you want coppergrease on the Frankenstein bolts - if anything, I would put Loctite on the threads to stop them backing out. Or if you mean to put grease on top of the bolt so that the hardtop goes on and off easier, yeah that would be a good idea.

Just thought the coppergrease might prevent any leaks getting into the boot throught the hardtop fitting :oops:

Battery: might be time to replace it if it really is 11 years old :-( Still, if you could borrow a trickle-charger, I would go that route. If you get the car charged and take it for a spin (couple of hours), will it start okay the next day ? If so, battery can be recovered with the charger. If not, time for a new one. It's just not holding a charge.

Hmm, a trickle-charger..actually ya I know a biker nearby who should have one of those..cheers. Hope it works. Otherwise, is there a specific battery type I should buy seeing as the one I have presently is the original or are they pretty standard, I'm sure I read somewhere that there some difference.

Sorry, all of the leak stuff is a 5 minute job for someone that's done it before. Takes longer to type it out :D Perfect tech-day material

Hopefully I will get it all sorted by tech day but if not I may well be asking for a wee bit of help (assuming I get the car started that is)

This is of great help, will post how I get on. Thanks again.
anniniwa

Postby franksm » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 2:22 +0000

Cool ! Will give you a hand with that at the tech day.

When you're tightening up the lamps, don't try too hard or <crack>

If you end up replacing the battery, I would only ever use another gel cell - MX5parts sell them. The 'standard' wet batteries for normal cars really aren't suitable long-term as they produce loads of condensation in the boot.
franksm

Postby paulie1981 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:07 +0000

Ann,

I bought one of the Westco batteries from mx5parts just before Christmas and it's well worth the money. It fits perfectly and comes complete with the ventilation tubes which plug into the floor of the car (assuming this is the case with the Mk.2 also).

I have a mystery boot leak which I'm pretty sure is the lights (non orig. Lexus type things). I have the originals plus new seals to go on this weekend which will hopefully solve the problem.

That battery though is good. Don't be fobbed off in motor factors etc.
paulie1981

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:21 +0000

Thanks Frank, will hold you to that :D

Cheers Paulie, I'll order one of those if I can't get this one kick started...jsut cracking up with myself that I didn't just go out and start the car every now and again to keep it charged...aw well you live and learn I guess.
anniniwa

Postby Steve » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:24 +0000

You might be on to something re the hardtop bolts.. didn't you fit them just recently? Maybe try some slathering yeah.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby paulie1981 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:29 +0000

anniniwa wrote:Cheers Paulie, I'll order one of those if I can't get this one kick started...jsut cracking up with myself that I didn't just go out and start the car every now and again to keep it charged...aw well you live and learn I guess.

I don't think that's the best idea either unless you're going to drive it. Either an Optimate - my dad has a bike and I've used his but it wouldn't recover the old battery - or pull the negative terminal on the battery if lying up for weeks. Although the neg terminal is a bugger to get at!

The instructions that came with my battery specifically warn against converntional chargers and booster packs/jump starting. It does say that once a year it should go onto an optimate type charger for a couple of days which greatly enhances the lifetime of the battery.

I've used an Optimate 4 which conditions the battery, tests and maintains it. He bought his in Belfast for about £50 I think.
paulie1981

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:32 +0000

srigley wrote:You might be on to something re the hardtop bolts.. didn't you fit them just recently? Maybe try some slathering yeah.

ya that's right I did, and found it hard to screw the bolt on that very side in. So slathering it is tonight then :D Cheers
anniniwa

Postby franksm » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:33 +0000

paulie1981 wrote:I've used an Optimate 4 which conditions the battery, tests and maintains it. He bought his in Belfast for about £50 I think.

Think it's an Optimate3 I have. Probably the same as yours but with less chrome ;-) Got mine off Ebay a couple of years ago for STG38.

I have mine connected to the battery all the time and it's fine. If I am laying the car up for a few days, I will plug the Optimate into a wall socket and leave it that way for days/weeks/months. Conditions the battery nicely
franksm

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:38 +0000

Righto, I'll convince my OH he needs an Optimate 4 for his new bike :wink:

Whoah, £79 stg for westco battery! steep innit?? oh well, such is life in the MX5 world! :(
anniniwa

Postby paulie1981 » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:50 +0000

anniniwa wrote:Righto, I'll convince my OH he needs an Optimate 4 for his new bike :wink:

Whoah, £79 stg for westco battery! steep innit?? oh well, such is life in the MX5 world! :(

They are pricey but a Halfords job will cost you €60 and it won't fit your mounting tray and on a hot day will cause lots of nice condensation in the boot. Also, when you're selling, I think it says a lot about a car and its owner when they bothered to source and pay for the proper equipment :)
paulie1981

Postby anniniwa » Mon, 25 Jan 2010 3:55 +0000

paulie1981 wrote:
anniniwa wrote:Righto, I'll convince my OH he needs an Optimate 4 for his new bike :wink:

They are pricey but a Halfords job will cost you €60 and it won't fit your mounting tray and on a hot day will cause lots of nice condensation in the boot. Also, when you're selling, I think it says a lot about a car and its owner when they bothered to source and pay for the proper equipment :)

nuff said, I'll get a Westco! :D
anniniwa

Next

Return to Leaks