Login    Register

Help - Leaking Seals

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Help - Leaking Seals

Postby mx5mariner » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:15 +0000

Hi Folks

Its been a while since I've been on the forum but it seems to be the only place where you can get the correct solution to any MX5 problems.

My 5 turned 21 this year (a proud moment) but with each year comes a new problem. The latest problem is that there is water getting into the car through the seals over the doors. It seems quite strange but the driver and passenger sides have simultaneously began to leak, mostly at the joint where the seals meat roughly in the middle of the window.

On closer inspection the rubbers look quite worn and there is a small tear on the front of the passenger side seal. Also when you squeeze the seals they are full of water. Is there any quick solution or will I have to splash out (excuse the pun) on a new set of seals?

If they will solve the problem no problem (although expensive) but could it be the roof shrinking / contracting? I have checked the nylon caps near the catches (a common cause of leaks) and they appear fine.

I have until about close of business today to purchase the seals at an agreed price before the vendor Autolink adds another 30stl to the price of them.

Suggestions greatfully accepted . Thanks.

Mark
mx5mariner

Re: Help - Leaking Seals

Postby leamyj » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:33 +0000

Buy them if you intend keeping the car, assuming it's not a king's ransom.

John
leamyj

Postby mx5mariner » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 2:07 +0000

I got a stay of execution on the price of the seals until Monday - about €130 after that they go up to around €200. I reckon if I am replacing one seal, I might as well all three on both sides at the same time?
mx5mariner

Help - Leaking Seals

Postby mx5ash » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 5:29 +0000

Hey mark long tine no see. Yeah I'd do the lot of em at once. If your hood doesn't look shrunk then it must be the seals leaking. The fact they are full of water doesn't sound like they are up to much. You going on any runs this year?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Postby Fergus » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 3:33 +0000

Seals are a lot cheaper from here http://www.autolinkmx5.com/soft-top-parts-180-c.asp
Fergus

Postby franksm » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 9:22 +0000

Hey Mark

Long time...

Yeah, new seals (ar-ar-ar-ar) would be a good investment given the age of the car. They tend to tear, go porous and 'learn' the wrong shape over time. If they're in good nick though, adjusting their metal runners can get another couple of years out of them. Plus using Aerospace 303 on them can get them 'fluffy' again.

The use of Vaseline on these isn't a good as people say, but the Aerospace 303 is what the manufacturers use to rejuvenate old ones and give that sticky, fluffy sheen to new ones. It's great stuff, but not cheap. Car dealers also use it to spruce up the engine bays on new cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFDLtS2lcaQ

http://www.303products.com/
It's a small world after all. It's a small, small world
franksm

Postby mx5mariner » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 1:04 +0000

Thanks to John, Ash, Fergus and Frank for replies.

On further inspection yesterday it looked as if the water was running along the top of the rubber seals as there was no visible holes where the water was coming from.

I'm running off to the Cork match now but hopefully will post a pic or two to help the diagnosis tomorrow.

Would love to go on the next run Ash. Crazy busy year with work but getting sorted now. Where is the next destination??

Later
Mark
mx5mariner

Help - Leaking Seals

Postby mx5ash » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 9:57 +0000

Check the runs section for info on all of them, festival of speed is coming up at the end if the month, god crowd going to that one.

mx5ash

Postby leamyj » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:08 +0000

mx5ash wrote:Check the runs section for info on all of them, festival of speed is coming up at the end if the month, god crowd going to that one.

Ash, you just made it into a religious festival :lol: :lol:
leamyj

Help - Leaking Seals

Postby mx5ash » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 10:32 +0000

Bloody iPhone. :-)

mx5ash

Postby mx5mariner » Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:53 +0000

Well - the one weekend I wanted to diagnose a leak, it didn't rain - typical!

I did however do a high tech simulation with the garden hose but the pesky leaks failed to appear. I took one or two snaps of what I thought to be the offending areas. The hood is in place about six years and the car only gets summer driving, so you would imaging no obvious excessive wear and tear. As I posted previously the water appeared to be on top of the seals so maybe some adjustment of the rails are required.

How do you post images???

There is one minor tear, not even exposed when the hood is closed, so I reckon that can be repaired. I am going to order the Aerospace 303 as you suggested Frank and forget about replacing the seals for the moment. There is no ponding in the foot wells, just an annoying drip when initially taking off after very wet weather.
mx5mariner

Return to Leaks