Login    Register

Drivers Footwell ... paddling pool!

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Drivers Footwell ... paddling pool!

Postby Addmagnet » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 1:09 +0000

I have a 2004 MX-5, a special edition, Arctic, that's been suffering recently from water pooling in the drivers footwell.

I'm certain it's rain getting in, but I'm at a loss to know where from.

The roof seems to fit snugly, no gaps at the tops of the windows and the only moisture on the inside of the roof is condensation. The water is clean, doesn't appear to be coming from a leak in the heating system or anything like that, and the amount of water is directly proportional the amount of rain (so, pretty much every day for the last 3 months down here in Cork :( )

The carpet behind and under the seat is dry.

I got a trombone cleaner and cleaned out the drainage channels that run down from around about the seat belt anchor; there was a fair amount of gunky, mud-like stuff that came out so it was worthwhile doing, but it's not resolved the issue.

Are there any other drainage channels at the front of the car that I can investigate? Anything under the bonnet, or around the windscreen?
Addmagnet

Re: Drivers Footwell ... paddling pool!

Postby Steve » Wed, 17 Feb 2016 5:30 +0000

it worth checking to see if there is a hole in the scuttle just above the driver's seat. It can happen that a spot weld holding a bracket underneath the dash snaps off leaving a hole (happened to me).
Some pics in this thread : http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=347311
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Leaks