Login    Register

Water pump leak???

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Water pump leak???

Postby Johnny » Sat, 21 Jan 2017 9:31 +0000

Was changing the oil when I noticed coolant drip from here(see pic). Cant see leak source from any pipes so wondering is it from water pump. If so, should probably get timing belt etc done also. What bits and pieces would I need to order and wheres best place to get them from. Also, whats that electric connector the coolant is running onto. Car is a 98 mk2 rs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny

Re: Water pump leak???

Postby Pops » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:09 +0000

Autolink were about the best when I did my timing belt
http://www.autolinkmx5.com/water-pump-m ... -759-p.asp
http://www.autolinkmx5.com/timing-belt- ... 1103-p.asp
Only problem I had was the spring didn't come with the 4 piece kit ( it should have) , but I must say they're very good at replying to any queries/ problems and the spring arrived before I started the job anyway. When you're doing the belt it's no harm to do the cam & crank seals at the same time
http://www.autolinkmx5.com/
I also used parcel motel to keep delivery cost down
Pops

Postby Pops » Sun, 22 Jan 2017 12:11 +0000

Electric connector is as far as I know the crank angle sensor
Pops

Postby Johnny » Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:01 +0000

Thanks for the links. Autolink seem to be a fair bit cheaper than mx5 parts. Did you tackle the job yourself? Don't know if I'd chance it for a once off job. Might as well do the aux belts while I'm at it.
Johnny

Postby Pops » Tue, 24 Jan 2017 5:18 +0000

Ya, I did it myself. Not such a difficult job to do if you have the tools. Loads of instructions on YouTube
Pops

Postby Steve » Wed, 25 Jan 2017 1:18 +0000

Johnny you'd be well able for it what with that fancy socket set of yours (boss). :-)
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Wed, 25 Jan 2017 11:01 +0000

Tis true for ya Steve, no point payin an absolute fortune for a top of the range socket set and not putting them to good use. I'll be on the phone to you when I get fed up half way through the procedure. NCT due in Feb so will wait and see what that throws up before tackling the job. How are ya for gates etc..
Johnny

Postby Johnny » Fri, 10 Feb 2017 2:09 +0000

Job done, w.pump, cam seals, crank seal, t-belt, tensioners, other belts etc.. ! Not without a few scares along the way. For anyone like me who's mechanical ability was limited to basic servicing, here's the few bumps I had:

1. crank pulley, plate and boss hub, which should slide off over the crank bolt when 4 small screws are removed, were sowed together and would not budge no matter what I tried. I was replacing crank seal anyway so took off crank bolt and pulled them of. To separate them, sprayed with anti seize stuff overnight and used a correct sized socket and hammer to punch them out. They were rusted together probably from weeping water pump over time.

2. Snapped front middle line valve cover bolt when putting back on valve cover. Was using 2 finger method with small ratchet, not too much torque, or so I thought. These bolts need very little torque. Was lucky in that the break was not below the head and was able to get vice grip on the small bit that was sticking out and removed it. I replaced that bolt with a regular 10mm bolt and a 6mm washer and put a small bit of copper grease on thread. Putting valve cover back on again I just finger tightened the bolts and used a screwdriver with 10mm socket attached and hand tightened. After couple days of driving, even with this light torqueing and non-OEM gasket there were no signs of oil weep, but gave them another little turn as gasket had settled a bit and allowed it. The bolts at the corners where the silicone is applied needed slightly more hand tightening to keep things flush.

3. Put everything back together, and decided to run water through system to flush a bit before replacing with coolant. Proceeded to fill radiator with water. After putting in about 3 litres I started hearing the dreaded dripping under the car. Was coming from same place as original leak only this time leaking more rapidly, water pump area down onto crank angle sensor. At this stage I was pissed off as system was under no pressure and all pipes were fine. Thinking I was going to have to take it all apart again because I hadn't used sealant on both sides of pump gaskets, or maybe damaged them on installation, I just left it there. Came back to it the following evening in a bit better humour, I removed alt and ps belts and timing belt covers. Had a look around and saw that leak was coming from area around where the water inlet flange bolts onto the water pump. I had replaced the o ring on the other side of the flange below the heat sheild(unbolt ps pump for easy access when doing this), so checked there but no leak. Turned out that I hadn't tightened down fully the bottom bolt (pain in the ass to get at) of those 2 on the water inlet flange. Water in again and no drips. If I was doing it again I would disconnect the bottom radiator hose under heat shield and pull water inlet pipe flange out and bolt it to water pump before re-installing. So didn't need to strip it all again thank god. Filled with coolant and burped system.
Car running well for last couple of days with no obvious signs of leaks. Overall not a bad a job for a novice once you have the right tools. Worst part was taking everything apart/putting back, always something else to be disconnected.
Found this YouTube video to be a great help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKHv5_d1a6I even though mine is 98 mk2 procedure is pretty much identical.
Also thanks to Robert (mx5spares) for advice.
Johnny

Postby MX5Spares » Fri, 10 Feb 2017 4:26 +0000

No probs Johnny, always here to help.Fair play to you for getting it all done.
MX5Spares

Postby Steve » Tue, 14 Feb 2017 6:02 +0000

Nice one Johnny!
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Leaks