Login    Register

WTF...WHERE'S ME RAIN RAIL??

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
WTF...WHERE'S ME RAIN RAIL??

Postby leamyj » Mon, 04 Aug 2008 9:29 +0000

Decided to investigate the constant drenching that the car interior has been suffering for some time now.

Had to open grometts under the carpet to drain away excess water, and decided to check out the rain rail to see if it was blocked or cracked

Removed parcel shelf carpet only to discover the sound proofing was dripping, the tin covers over the petrol tank rusting away merrily..not a pretty sight.Removed carpet and soundproofing at firewall

Right , keep going, a dose of wd40 on the nuts around the rain rail retainer, wait half an hour, start removing nuts, two of them missing, managed to wring one of them off the bolt..really getting annoyed now.

Eventually get them all off and removed the retainers only to discover NO rain rail...some previous owner must have had the top replaced and probably damaged the rail beyond repair, so didn't bother his arse to put another one back in.

At least now I know what the problem is. Took the soft top assembly off the car and put the hard top on because this job is gonna take a bit longer than I anticipated...betcha now we get a few weeks of scorching weather since I have the hard top back on..AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.

Suppose mx5 parts wiil be the next port of call

John
leamyj

Postby Fergus » Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:04 +0000

Only gonna be sunny from next Friday evening onwards :D
Fergus

Postby leamyj » Tue, 05 Aug 2008 7:12 +0000

Thanks for that Fergus :lol:

Yes it will be sunny from next Friday...in Mallorca where I'll be kicking back poolside.. 8) 8)
Still can't get over the fact that some idiot fitted a soft top to my car with no rain rail :evil:
I'm sure the anger will abate when the rays are warming me up :lol: :lol:

john
leamyj

Postby Reesy » Tue, 05 Aug 2008 9:31 +0000

Commiserations John. What a dumb-ass thing to do.

FWIW, the guys who fitted my replacement soft top saw that my rain rail was looking iffy so they made another rain rail round the old one, out of hood material. It seems to work...
No more Mk1, now driving an '08 Mk3. Still fun!
Reesy

Postby sspecdave » Wed, 06 Aug 2008 3:32 +0000

JOHN.

RLTD POSTED THIS A WHILE BACK MIGHT BE WORTH GIVING HIM A PM. :wink:

DAVE.

http://www.mx5ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643
sspecdave

Postby leamyj » Wed, 06 Aug 2008 4:33 +0000

[quote="sspecdave"]JOHN.

RLTD POSTED THIS A WHILE BACK MIGHT BE WORTH GIVING HIM A PM. :wink:

DAVE.

http://www.mx5ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=643[/quote

Thanks Dave, have sent him a txt .

John
leamyj

Rainrail

Postby MeathMazdaMan » Wed, 06 Aug 2008 8:47 +0000

Did you have any luck getting rainrail, I am sure I have one, but the last person to change rear window put a stanley blade through it in two places, that will need a bit of a McGyver to repair, however its way better than none ! Did'nt refit it as I put on a mohair hood that was supplied with new one, any help let me know, Paul
1989 in Mariner Blue, tan hood and glass rear window all original except 15" alloys
MeathMazdaMan

Re: Rainrail

Postby leamyj » Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:41 +0000

MeathMazdaMan wrote:Did you have any luck getting rainrail, I am sure I have one, but the last person to change rear window put a stanley blade through it in two places, that will need a bit of a McGyver to repair, however its way better than none ! Did'nt refit it as I put on a mohair hood that was supplied with new one, any help let me know, Paul

Thanks for the offer Paul, may have sourced one from John (rltd) in Cork, but am going away this weekend for hols. Will follow up on my return

John
leamyj

Return to Leaks