Login    Register

HELP! - NEW BATTERY - BUT ELECTRICS STILL DEAD.

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
HELP! - NEW BATTERY - BUT ELECTRICS STILL DEAD.

Postby MICK FINNEY » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 7:11 +0000

rsz_1.jpg
Hello Folks,

I have a Eunos MKII that has being sitting up since last summer, just before xmas I jumped the dead battery & it turned over but didn't start.
I presummed it was a petrol issue.

Last week I topped up the petrol & hooked up the cables again and got no power to the electrics....dash, lights or otherwise, car is stone dead.

I had problems before it was parked up related to the alternator & draining battery, so to eliminate possible battery issues I bought a new battery, but still getting no power.

The car was paked under cover but the rear portion was still open to the elements, the interior of the mohaircover over the parcel shelf is damp,
so I presume water has being getting down the inside panels.
I removed a section of the boot lining leading towards the cabin to see where the cabling leads, I can see a set of terminals [see pic 5] & the walls of the body panels feel moist but the sponge flooring is dry.

I checked the battery cable clamps & the cables at point of connection & they don't appear damaged, though on the positive cable there is a section about 3" long wrapped in black electrical tape.
Read somewhere on an American forum that it could be a grounding wire issues [where should I be looking for that?]

I am hoping that it may be a fuse issue, so I bought a new main 80amp fuse thinking I and / or water may have blown it, but have yet to fit it.
I also bought a pack of stantard fuses. [would any of these be causing an issue?]

I had an Alfa 166 which also had the battery in the boot & I had the same issues, wasn't until I got it to Gerry in TI Autos that it proved to be a fuse midway along the chassis.
[Is there a fuse beyond where the cables go into the chassis in pic 6?]

So I'm hoping its not that as the position she is parked would make it near impposible to do any real diagnostic work. I need to move her from where she is parked & and just don't have the funds at
present to have a mechanic come out and run through everything.

Any pointers in the right direction.

Thank you.

Mick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MICK FINNEY

Re: HELP! - NEW BATTERY - BUT ELECTRICS STILL DEAD.

Postby MX5Spares » Fri, 16 Mar 2018 8:00 +0000

Bolt in type main fuse in main fuse box under the bonnet.It powers up everything from the battery.Its bolted in with 2 x 10mm bolts.Lift off the fuse box and pop the side covers off it to reveal the tow bolts.It is the 80amp fuse
MX5Spares

Postby Steve » Fri, 16 Mar 2018 5:26 +0000

I am hoping that it may be a fuse issue, so I bought a new main 80amp fuse thinking I and / or water may have blown it, but have yet to fit it.

Yep, do this first, you are on the right track.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby MX5Spares » Sat, 17 Mar 2018 8:34 +0000

If not, check the ground/earth strap at rear end of the PPF frame(joins gearbox to diff) They usually corrode/break off so you lose proper earth to engine etc
MX5Spares

Return to Engine & drivetrain