Login    Register

Italian tune up

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
Re: Italian tune up

Postby Fergus » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 1:58 +0000

Well, my own '91 block ran fine for close to 10 years on fully synth once I changed over, it ran better than it did before but that's from my own experience. Did you run an Mx5 '91 block on fully synth yourself ?

I'll 'agree to disagree' here charged_rs but please don't post up anymore 'slang' against my comments - we're both better than that Dude and we are all club members here.
Fergus

Postby sidewaysreilly » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:05 +0000

I concur. Your listening/googling too much shite. The engine if properly looked after will have no gunk in it. It was designed to run a certain type of oil. It still needs THAT oil to perform as intended. You go spend your money at will .Buy a complete gasket set first tho.

Do you really believe the yanks?? They are so far behind europe/asia in engine tech its shamefull.

Use the oem spec oil and save your money.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby Fergus » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:25 +0000

Like I said, I've already gone through all this 'engine oil' stuff years ago and I did my research before changing over. Go check it all out on MiataTurbo for yourselves.

I have stated the gains I got from my own '91 engine/block in this post already - have you 'any' first-hand information yourselves concerning this by doing it to an early Mx5 - NOPE !! You Don't !! But I do :mrgreen:

Free up the engine/block, change the gaskets and it's sorted out. Then it's 'free' to perform.
Fergus

Postby Fergus » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:28 +0000

Right I'm otta here, leaving this one up to the poster themselves as I don't agree with 'Slang' but I do agree with a bit of banter/info etc.
Fergus

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:39 +0000

Fergus wrote:have you 'any' first-hand information yourselves concerning this by doing it to an early Mx5 - NOPE !! You Don't !! But I do .

actually , yes fergus i have.

once upon a time 9 yrs ago i bought a fresh import rs-ltd 1.8 1994 with 64000kms on the clock
registered it , taxed it and drove it for a few months

then one day i decided to change all fluids and in my infinite wisdom i decided to run mobil 1 fully synth

after a full service i noticed the engine oil pressure was real low, and the engine sounded a bit clattery
a week later i had oil leaking from every possible place that it could leak from and to top it off the oil pump decided to lunch it self

on removal of the oil pump the pressure valve had popped

Spoke to a mazda tech and the first thing he asked was -" have you changed to a thinner oil ?" - thats your problem right there he said.

1 new oil pump later and some 10w40 semi synth and the car was fine

subsequently the car was written off a few months later but i know where the engine went to and is still in service to this day in a 1996 s-special type 2

thats just my experience for what its worth ,however, others may have had a more positive experience
charged_rs

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:49 +0000

Fergus wrote:Like I said, I've already gone through all this 'engine oil' stuff years ago and I did my research before changing over. Go check it all out on MiataTurbo for yourselves.

I have stated the gains I got from my own '91 engine/block in this post already - have you 'any' first-hand information yourselves concerning this by doing it to an early Mx5 - NOPE !! You Don't !! But I do :mrgreen:

Free up the engine/block, change the gaskets and it's sorted out. Then it's 'free' to perform.

i really dont wish to be mean but how many engines has your car been through? not a great backdrop to giving advice on engine longevity ;)
charged_rs

Postby Fergus » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 3:41 +0000

THIS IS MY LAST post here :mrgreen:

Your talking about a 1.8 engine/block ?? We are talking about a Turbo Mk1 here Dude and I rest my case as I'm talking about the Mk1 engine/block like the owner of this post was.

No disrepect - please check out Mk1s Turbo's and the full synth thing on MiataTurbo.net for the Mk1 Engine/Block. I spent months on it years ago.

My car has had it's own original '91 Engine/Block since day one (I don't know where your 1.8 came from) but I've had no probs with with my 1.6 Engine/Block at all for around 10 years since changing to fully synth and boosting.

I have just now changed it to a '96 1.6 Engine/Block but that is only to get more power for free before the Turbo kit is re-attached. The original engine is still 100% perfect !

Your commenting on the WRONG ENGINE/BLOCK Charged_rs :shock:

QUOTE - "My car is a 90 with 280k km on it"
Fergus

Postby rhysmate » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:17 +0000

My 1990 also had 280km on it, only reason i changed it was due to a lower mileage engine on offer (120km) so taking a pop at someone for swapping engines is ridiculous.

Personally, i run 10w40 as i always have but i've seen Fergus' cams after he took that old engine out and they were perfect. If he's been running it for ten years then it obviously is OK. There's having banter and then there's just being an Arseh***
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:02 +0000

sigh...

the bad advice in this thread is really quite epic.
charged_rs

Postby rhysmate » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:30 +0000

charged_rs wrote:sigh...

Elaborate

rhysmate

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 12:13 +0000

rhysmate wrote:

Elaborate

no point - although it is clear that oil companies marketing works
charged_rs

Postby rhysmate » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:00 +0000

charged_rs wrote:
rhysmate wrote:

Elaborate

no point - although it is clear that oil companies marketing works

you're too clever or us all, thanks for the enlightenment you truly are a gift.

rhysmate

Postby sidewaysreilly » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 8:41 +0000

Im amazed at how people believe the oil companies. Experience, i work on engines producing 1600 bhp at 2400 rpm......use the formula to work the torque. I think i know a wee bit.
The really worrying part is the less oil pressure bit............how in gods name can this be better.The first thing tuners do to competition engines is put a higher capacity/pressure oil pump on the block.Being turbocharged, you will need as much oil pressure spraying thro the oil jets to cool your pistons as you can get. Lower pressure wont do this.
But ill give up cause i know feck all..........
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby kieran » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 9:34 +0000

im so glad that i used the 0/40 fully,synth.mobil 1 thath i payed 90 euros for. to lube the chainsaw lol :D :roll: :oops:
kieran

Postby ger » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 9:35 +0000

Jesus just checked back in to see about the italian tune up, ok lads take it easy.

I use magnetec 10w40 and have no intention of changing, anyway i would imagine upon further investigation that the carbon build up is probably helping to keep everything leak free.
So I popped in some lucas injector cleaner stuff that is supposed to lubricate the upper part of the engine also and drove to dublin and back like a demon. Running great now. All I was addressing in the first place was the limited winter use and short journeys.

@charged, I have been running the current set up for 5 yrs without any problems. its a set up thats been tried and tested by many on miata turbo. 2.5 inch exhaust, BIPES, O2 Clamp, 265cc tan tops and vortec with 8:1 disc which can supply enough fuel for 7.5/8psi which makes 170HP (200bhp). Sure I could throw another couple of grand into it but its fun the way it is and has proved totally reliable.
ger

PreviousNext

Return to Engine & drivetrain