Login    Register

timing belt

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
timing belt

Postby paddy » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:44 +0000

my timing belt broke last Sunday and after reading both here and on other sites that its a non interference engine I bought a timing belt kit and gave it to a local mechanic to fit but it still wont start.Is there ANY chance the timing belt damages the engine.
Its a 95 eunos R Ltd 1.8
ps
had the rocker cover head done 2 weeks ago and we had to return the 1.8 head for a 1.6 as the former would'nt fit.? my mechanic is not familiar with mx5's and I might as well be looking up a bulls arse as looking at an engine. :(
paddy

Re: timing belt

Postby paddy » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 10:48 +0000

PPs hi everyone,excellent site
paddy

Postby Steve » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:48 +0000

Hi Paddy,

You are correct, it is an non-interference engine (have snapped a timing belt myself in the past). Without seeing the car its hard to know what the issue might be but I'd get him to check the timing marks are lining up correctly, the camshaft pulleys are lined up with the marks and there are 19 teeth on the belt visible between the tops of the camshaft pulleys. If they are correct just start trouble shooting the usuals (the car has spark, fuel and the airflow meter is connected and working).

Heres a v.detailed how-to worth printing off for your mechanic :
http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

Let us know how you get on.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sat, 26 Sep 2015 5:16 +0000

Before this expert costs you a whole pile of money, take the car off him and bring it somebody who is a proper mechanic i.e one who has access to engine data. They are an easy engine to work on and should start first time.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby paddy » Tue, 29 Sep 2015 3:19 +0000

thanks guys,I was busy getting our mazda tribute back on the road.But thats great to know.will probably take it off the road for a few months to sort some cash to get it back running(we have been using it as our daily driver)but hopefully now it should'nt be to expensive.
paddy

Return to Engine & drivetrain